Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would be a good strong silicone for a background i'm going to be using some great stuff and putting peat and bed a beast on it so what would be the strongest bond

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have 100% silicone but it doesn't seem like it's gonna be strong enough for these cork panels. there not flush against the glass and i don't see any way to glue them without putting some heavy pressure i have to do it with the tank standing. and i thought i would need a brown over the great stuff foam will the clear work?

·
Registered
639 Posts
GE silicone II is pretty strong stuff, I used it to glue some big panels of quarter inch glass together for my last viv. I don't think it will have any problem holding that cork.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Silicone is pretty strong, but it has to cure completely. Until it cures, it is very weak and gooey. Plus it lets off fumes that might harm frogs. It's completely safe and quite strong once cured, though. I also use the GE Silicone II brand. Don't worry that it says on the tube not to use it on aquariums.

·
Registered
707 Posts
If you have a Grainger's near by you can get GE IS808 which is the same as aquarium silicone for a very reasonable price. You can get it in a small tube or large tube that requires a caulking gun for larger jobs. It only comes in clear or black, so if that doesn't work go with GE II as recommended.

Best,

Marcos

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
If you get GE silicone II make sure it is the kind for windows and doors, the kitchen and bath kind has mold inhibitors in it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cool i got silicone ll i got the fern panels up fine but that cork waas tough . see my tank is not lying down it's up and i tying to hold them panels so they stay up damm thats a pain lol but i got them thanks for the help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
geckguy said:
If you get GE silicone II make sure it is the kind for windows and doors, the kitchen and bath kind has mold inhibitors in it.
Why not get it mold inhibitor?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
geckguy said:
The mold inhibitor used in silicone can kill your frogs.
Most caulk and grout meant for bathrooms and kitchens has mold inhibitor in it. Mainly because high humidity makes these rooms ideal habitat for mold. And while we don't mind mold in the viv, having it staring at you from the bathtub is probably a different matter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.