Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a lingering silicone smell in their viv after setting up a new tank? I usually don't use silicone but wnated to see if it worked better at holding the peat to my background (it doesn't). But now I can't rid the tank of the silicone smell. It's been 2+ wks. I don't want to put any frogs in there with the way it smells. Any advice on what to do besides tear it out? And the answers to the questions are; yes it is cured, no I didn't put it on too thick, yes it was GE silicone II.
Mike

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
What do you usually use for holding the peat or coco to the background? I just used the emlers pro bond...worked pretty well. It funny you should say something about silicone because I was just about to try it myself!

·
Vendor
2,846 Posts
Are you misting the tank? I find that misting for a few days takes the sent away. A fan also works too. Air doesn't really circulate inside a tank as it does out in the open.

·
Registered
291 Posts
We use silicon in almost every tank that we do. There are alot of things that cause the silicon smell to stay there. Probably the biggest is ventilation. If the tank isn't ventilated enough the the smell will linger longer. We've had acrylic tanks that the silicon was cured but it took over a month to get the smell out of it. We also noticed that if you rinse them out pretty good a couple of times then the smell goes away a bit faster (after it is cured of course).

We always thought that glass tanks cured faster than acrylic but after testing Paul's (First Class Aquatics) tank we are almost certain it's the ventilation. We put a background in Paul's tank and the smell was gone within 24 hours!

Also, I've been told that the GE II silicon takes longer to cure than GE I silicon. I'm not certain if that is true or not because I haven't tried both at the same time. Temperature can also play a role......

G

·
d

yes. ventilation.

set a box fan on top of the tank blowing into it (assuming it still has no occupants!) and that will clear it out in a day or so.

I had my 150 gallon tank and it was stinky after 3 or 4 days, so I put the box fan on top blowing into it with an area for the air to blow out, and it cleared up in a day.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Mike, is it an acrylic tank? I expierenced the same thing that Sarah did, it took a long time for the smell to go away, around 2 months. I quarentine for at least 60 days anyway so it turned out not to be a big deal, but I was going nuts for those 2 months.
Ed

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope it's a glass 10 gal. I've opened it up to "air" it out. We'll see how that works. I've been misting it to keep the moss, plants, and springtails moist.
Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts