Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of my first build. I used way too much Great Stuff, but it turned out okay. I let it sit overnight and started cutting holes into the great stuff for plants and the inside is still gooey. My question is, should i coat the inside of the holes with silicone? With Great Stuff being as porous as it is, i'm concerned about mold growing inside the Great Stuff background. Is that possible? I wanted to put soil directly into the holes that I cut out. What is the best way to go about this? Is drainage necessary if i keep my monsoon system at a low duration more frequently? Because I don't know how I would create drainage at this point... :(

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
You could still drill a drain carefully near the bottom, or just siphon out from the false bottom if needed. Are you shaving all the foam and siliconing something on? It tends to diminish the shape of your carving if you fill in the holes. Mold is going to happen, it won't hurt anything in the foam. Just curious, is great stuff all that's holding that stuff up directly on the glass? It may end up peeling off from what I hear pretty often. It looks good though:)

Edit: shave it all, a thin layer, it helps get air down to the thick parts. I try to do mine in stages because thick layers take forever to dry

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks! no, that's mopani driftwood. i siliconed everything first. it's not going anywhere, haha!!i'm actually not going with a false bottom. i'm going to get some pvc pipe and saw some notches in the bottom, have it run above the surface of the soil layer, and just use a turkey baster to siphon it out of the pvc pipe. obviously, i would have a cap on the pipe that i could remove when i need to siphon; and have it hidden under a coconut shell or something.

so would i still need to provide drainage to the plants/soil in the holes in the Great Stuff if I reserved those for plants that like moist soil? and maybe kept the plants that like dryer soil on the bottom, which will have better drainage with the soil, substrate divider, and hydroballs?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
You need more time. It went on too thick and now it is simply not cured yet. When it goes on that thick it could take a day or two to completely finish curing.
Remember too, that a 3 sided background that goes on too thick, means you will be moving your frogs into a closet, instead of a spacious home for 2. I've stated that to the extreme, but you get the idea. You frogs will appreciate every inch you can give them. It's not too late. Froggers remove excess Great Stuff all the time. You can cut, tear, Dremel, rip, scoop, or otherwise find ways to get the extra out of there. (In another day or two of course...let it cure). Take the extra time and effort to get them a little extra space via trimming.

A thought. You are already thinking that you used too much Great Stuff. When you put in your false bottom, you will see that space vanishing. Your substrate will eat up more space. When you put in a wood feature, coco hut, and even your plants, you will see that space being eaten up. I'm the kind of guy who will be bothered by that, every time I look at the viv...are you?

Reactions: L8apex

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don't get the concept. So you're going to have no drainage layer and PVC tubes sticking out to pull water from? I'm not sure how well that will work. I meant stick a baster/hose down into the drainage layer, which is essential, whether it's hydroton or an egg crate.

Usually drainage on the background isn't an issue, but most people just mist. Doesn't that monsoon drip? That's more for chams I think.

·
Registered
502 Posts
When I make plant pots on my walls I usually use a cork half round and gorilla glue a plastic flex straw in that leads down to my substrate layer it works for drainage and looks natural too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts
The first pic is of the tank lying on its back so your looking at the planter itself and the straw goes down behind that cork round which is also a planter, its got a false wall with tubing and a pump back there, the black stuff is great stuff pond and stone (naturally black) sprayed on and then spread thin as possible using a piece of cardboard and these three pics show how it turned out in the end

sorry if Im hijacking, thought maybe it would give you ideas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts