Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post here. I am building a new viv inside my apartment, and I'm concerned about the fumes from the curing silicone leaking into my existing tanks and harming my dart frogs. I have two established tanks in the same room where I am planning to build the new viv start to finish... will the fumes from the fresh silicone in my new build harm my frogs? If their tanks are about 6 feet away from the build in that same room? How far exactly will these fumes travel and how concerned should I be about protecting my animals? I also have a cat, a couple other frog tanks, and some invertebrate tanks.

I know I have to let silicone cure fully before I actually introduce any animals/plants into the new tank itself, but I haven't seen anyone discuss any effects on existing tanks that share a room (if that makes sense).

I'm planning on having a fan aimed at the build to increase air flow at a minimum. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
46 Posts
No. As long you got good ventilation. I have put fans to pull air from that room and also by the window to blow the bad air out. It should be fine though. I wouldn't put the enclosure your working on right next to one containing frogs but even then they most likely would be ok.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm not sure about the exact science of the fumes themselves, but I always try to build in a separate room than where my current animals are kept and let it cure before moving it close to them. This maybe out of an abundance of caution, but if its possible to let the tank cure in another room it is probably your safest option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the advice!! I'm always extra paranoid about chemicals, lol. I moved my tanks around a little to maximize distance between my build and them, and have a fan going 24/7 in my apt. Things seems to be going well so far and my build is turning out super cool (hopefully). I appreciate the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts