Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on my second build. This time I used ALOT more silicone than the first tank. When I attached the background, I pretty much completely covered the entire back wall and attached the styrefoam.

It's been 14 days and I still smell the silicone. I used the same brand (asi aquarium safe sealant). My other tank didn't take this long to cure.... Idk maybe it did 🤷🏻‍♀️ I did have some die off with my first tank. But I don't think it smelled this strong after 2 weeks. What's the average cure time and can I add a heat mat to the back of the tank to help cure it? I used so much on the new build maybe it's just taking longer?
Hood Wood Scaled reptile Twig Reptile
Plant Organism Wood Pet supply Fish supply

·
Registered
758 Posts
Mist it often. Water helps silicone cure. I think because you covered the entire back it's probably going to take longer to fully cure.

Reactions: Encyclia

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mist it often. Water helps silicone cure. I think because you covered the entire back it's probably going to take longer to fully cure.
Ahhhh, okay cause I thought water would slow the curing time. 😂🤦🏻‍♀️ Well fiddlesticks. I could have done that a long time ago lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did your silicone ever cure? I had a similar problem a while back and learned the hard way the difference between formula 1 and 2. Formula 1 is the old standard that is safe, no mold inhibitor. Formula 2 is a newer formulation and you need to check the expiration date carefully. After it expires it will fail to cure and will stay soft. At first I thought maybe I did something wrong. After 2 days it as still soft. After Googling the problem I found many people with formula 2 in the same situation and after it expires even in a sealed tube, it will never cure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a similar issue when I tried to use a glob of silicone to stick a piece of wood on, learned my lesson on that one, took forever* to cure. So if you had any areas where it was applied thicker, that could be causing the slow cure.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did your silicone ever cure? I had a similar problem a while back and learned the hard way the difference between formula 1 and 2. Formula 1 is the old standard that is safe, no mold inhibitor. Formula 2 is a newer formulation and you need to check the expiration date carefully. After it expires it will fail to cure and will stay soft. At first I thought maybe I did something wrong. After 2 days it as still soft. After Googling the problem I found many people with formula 2 in the same situation and after it expires even in a sealed tube, it will never cure.
It did cure actually. I don't use GE. I have small tanks, 18" cubes. So I use asi aquarium safe silicone. It's more expensive. But I know i won't screw up and get the wrong one cause there seems to be some confusion on which one is correct.

Anyway, I did get it to cure. Adding some extra moisture as well as adding leca and substrate helped a ton. The extra moisture helped cure it super quick. I have a couple spare test plants in there to be sure. But it's been a few days and so far, so good!

·
Administrator
4,766 Posts
Just some clarification regarding GE 1 and GE 2. All GE silicone sealants contain mold inhibitors.

The reason that GE 2 is unsuitable for vivarium use is because it uses an organotoin curing agent.

"Aquarium safe silicone sealant" is always safe for vivs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts