Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Has it been several hours and the silicone is still tacky? If so, check the expiration date on your tube. If it is expired the silicone will never cure, and you will have a mess on your hands to clean up. Happened to me recently, ruined my day...hopefully that is not what is goin on with you.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
The 24 hours stated on the tube is an average time for average conditions. If your bead is more than about 1/4 thick you should plan on longer. If the area is poorly vented you should plan on longer. If the area is particularly humid, you should plan on longer. Pointing a small fan into the area will help.
If you can still smell ANY fumes, it is not fully cured. If it is still tacky, it is not fully cured.
As Randommind stated, if it is expired, it may never cure. If it was repeatedly frozen and thawed, it may never cure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The expiration date is good but still a little rubbery. Seems to be getting harder. There is still a slight smell. Would the smell be indicative of vapor and is this vapor toxic to the frogs?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
The expiration date is good but still a little rubbery. Seems to be getting harder. There is still a slight smell. Would the smell be indicative of vapor and is this vapor toxic to the frogs?
Yes. Did you try pointing a small fan in there?

·
Registered
161 Posts
100% Silicon will stay flexible. It shouldn't get hard. Once you can no longer smell the fumes you should be good to go.
Doug

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had a question regarding silicone as well. What type of silicone should we be using? Does it matter? I think I saw a pic of someone just using regular window silicone for the background. Is that ok, or should we only be using aquarium silicone only? It seems like this should be the case for the safety.

·
Banned
685 Posts
How long does it take for silicon to get semi hard? And how long until I can put the frogs in? The silicon said 24 hours for full cure. Is that fine? Thanks
Why the rush to get the frogs in the tank? I usually wait and let the plants grow in some and let the tank reach it's equalibrium.

If some of your plants don't do well and need replaced, it is better to do so before adding frogs IMO so you aren't ripping things apart after they are in there. And it gives feeders time to establish in the tank, mold to grow and die , etc, etc.

Don't rush it

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I had a question regarding silicone as well. What type of silicone should we be using? Does it matter? I think I saw a pic of someone just using regular window silicone for the background. Is that ok, or should we only be using aquarium silicone only? It seems like this should be the case for the safety.
Research this thread. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/35720-bio-seal.html After reading it I decided on GE silicone 1 and NOT GE silicone 2.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Watch for Eds info on Organotonins (probably massacred the spelling on that)
Just read through it and there was good information about the two. I definitely see that GE Silicone I would be a safer bet then GE Silicone II. I am still uncertain about the difference between them and aquarium silicone as that wasn't really touched. There was a link to 3 other threads for different sites, so I will probably have to read those at some point to see if I find out more about the aquarium stuff.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
The difference is probably based on liability. The silicones like GEI are listed that they are not to be used for aquariums. In this case, if you do use it for a off-lable usage and it goes wrong, the company has protection from legal action (as the lable says not to use it for aquariums).

Ed

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Actual aquarium silicones should all be safe enough. The question is usually pointed more towards this. Which cheaper, non-aquarium silicones can be used?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.