Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I posted here a few months back asking for help for my new southern toads because I seem to have bad luck keeping them alive.. A couple months after that post, one of my southern toads died, no external symptoms like skin problems or injuries, but he was lethargic and stopped eating, got weak, and suddenly died. I have no idea what keeps killing them, my tank temperature was always at 70, I fed them dusted crickets and nightcrawlers as often as they would eat them which in the beginning was nearly everyday. My other toad, Big Mama, is still alive but she seems to be sick now too, she’s lethargic and won’t eat, I’ve been giving her diluted pedialyte baths to try to stimulate her appetite (and she usually sheds everytime I bathe her) and at first it got her eating again but now it doesn’t seem to be helping, I don’t have a vet nearby to take her to so I’m praying somebody on here could give me some advice! Just today I decided to heat her tank up a little bit to about 75 and she immediately went to the warm side of the tank, on top of a plant lol, to get closer to the light maybe? She’s been feeling very cold to the touch lately, so I thought maybe giving her some more warmth would help but I don’t want to accidentally cook her :eek::cry:— Any advice is appreciated though, thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2,626 Posts
Are all these toads from the same source? You mentioned the source in your other post, and if these are from that vendor, then I suspect you're not starting off with healthy animals.

Wild caught animals might well have internal parasites or other related issues. You can find a qualified vet here:

https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

Pics of their viv might help users here troubleshoot environmental causes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, my first pair was wild caught, second from Reptile City (I don't recommend them) and my last 2 were from backwater reptiles, which seemed very good and healthy until the last month or so sadly. Here's a pic of her current 10 gal tank, I'll try to add more in a separate reply bc I can't get more to load. But the tank I kept both of them in was a 34 gallon.

Attachments

·
Registered
969 Posts
I dont know why your toads died.

Its a good idea though, to mitigate the amount of milled coconut husk they may inadvertently ingest with each feeding.

It isnt managed as efficiently through the gut as the mineral bits, plant fibers and soil materials they swallow in native circumstances and Ive retrieved fecal bolus after therapeutically hydrating and raising temp of an animal suddenly failing to thrive and manipulated it under magnification. It was unlike the peat fibers found regularly and benignly in regularly passed stools of animals on packed peat and topsoil. The animals involved were lizards but a documented record of a ceratophrys is available, and several credible anecdotal incidents across taxa.

A peice of tile, a shallow, below animal eye line plate or dish. You may already be feeding them similiarly I dont know.

If you are dusting crickets with supplement do not wholly coat the nightcrawlers as well. If you must, a dip of an end is adequate.

I have cared for many southern toads and other toads. They are an excellent choice for families with a thoughtful, amphibian fascinated young person. But their personableness and intricate topographical skin detail, with a jewel for an eye ( said Shakespeare!) is a winsome joy to live with, for any person.

I usually let the toad tell me when to feed noting forage activity or perk in carriage or direction toward motion.

If im being redundant or preaching to choir please forgive..

Toads usually respond well to treatment and medication. They are an easy size to dose and an easy administer.

Im sorry for your difficulty with your guys; dont give up, and find an arav vet near you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont know why your toads died.

Its a good idea though, to mitigate the amount of milled coconut husk they may inadvertently ingest with each feeding.

It isnt managed as efficiently through the gut as the mineral bits, plant fibers and soil materials they swallow in native circumstances and Ive retrieved fecal bolus after therapeutically hydrating and raising temp of an animal suddenly failing to thrive and manipulated it under magnification. It was unlike the peat fibers found regularly and benignly in regularly passed stools of animals on packed peat and topsoil. The animals involved were lizards but a documented record of a ceratophrys is available, and several credible anecdotal incidents across taxa.

A peice of tile, a shallow, below animal eye line plate or dish. You may already be feeding them similiarly I dont know.

If you are dusting crickets with supplement do not wholly coat the nightcrawlers as well. If you must, a dip of an end is adequate.

I have cared for many southern toads and other toads. They are an excellent choice for families with a thoughtful, amphibian fascinated young person. But their personableness and intricate topographical skin detail, with a jewel for an eye ( said Shakespeare!) is a winsome joy to live with, for any person.

I usually let the toad tell me when to feed noting forage activity or perk in carriage or direction toward motion.

If im being redundant or preaching to choir please forgive..

Toads usually respond well to treatment and medication. They are an easy size to dose and an easy administer.

Im sorry for your difficulty with your guys; dont give up, and find an arav vet near you.
Thanks for the reply! I actually do use a dish for the crickets and a small lid as a plate for the nightcrawlers, but if that’s how much dust you’re supposed to be using then I’ve definitely been over dusting, I usually cake their food in it, could that kill them though? Also forgot to mention I normally try to keep the humidity in the tank around 50-60 but now it’s been at 90 for the last month because the new coco fiber won’t dry out, I haven’t been misting bc it’s so humid in there.. could that be causing problems? Also I totally agree, I absolutely adore toads, they’re my favorite animal right next to cats haha! But as much as I love them, I’ve decided this will be my last one if she passes because I can’t get them the care they need due to not having an exotic vet near me, I can’t drive yet and the closest one to me is over an hour away so I can’t find a ride that far “just for a toad” :(

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hey there, well, uniform wetness isnt ideal for your toad. You can squeeze it with handfuls of paper towels for a quick fix or dry a big portion in the oven under low heat and let it cool and remix in.

The desciptive you used in Caked, is apt. More is not better when More is not necessary and too much. You describe feeding pretty much daily, with large moist worms that are going to adhere or cake supplement. I would venture to say that on one worm could be more supplement than a similiarly sized frog i know would recieve in a month and he is vibrant at 22 years old.
The volume of food being fed, its regularity and copious supplementation lead me in the direction of lightening it up.

I hope your toad gets better.

If you have a pic of her stool in the water i would be interested in seeing. It would also be good to save in the fridge in a little distilled water for a vet visit. Its a snapshot into gut flora and foe so more than one sample is better than a single.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey there, well, uniform wetness isnt ideal for your toad. You can squeeze it with handfuls of paper towels for a quick fix or dry a big portion in the oven under low heat and let it cool and remix in.

The desciptive you used in Caked, is apt. More is not better when More is not necessary and too much. You describe feeding pretty much daily, with large moist worms that are going to adhere or cake supplement. I would venture to say that on one worm could be more supplement than a similiarly sized frog i know would recieve in a month and he is vibrant at 22 years old.
The volume of food being fed, its regularity and copious supplementation lead me in the direction of lightening it up.

I hope your toad gets better.

If you have a pic of her stool in the water i would be interested in seeing. It would also be good to save in the fridge in a little distilled water for a vet visit. Its a snapshot into gut flora and foe so more than one sample is better than a single.
So after you posted this, I gave her a bath and did my best to squeeze out excess water from the dirt, then I left her alone for day or 2. Today I tried to feed her but she still wasn’t interested, and she’s very weak, I don’t think she’s gonna make it.. I put her in her water dish to soak and now she’s making weird squirming motions, like kicking her feet around every now and then but staying in place, she did this before when she wasn’t doing well about a month ago, I have no idea what this could be. Also her legs look slimy but not really in a shedding way, and her breathing seems labored.
9C5BC80A-E78D-4E2A-A47D-4F3D6C66B7AB.jpeg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So after you posted this, I gave her a bath and did my best to squeeze out excess water from the dirt, then I left her alone for day or 2. Today I tried to feed her but she still wasn’t interested, and she’s very weak, I don’t think she’s gonna make it.. I put her in her water dish to soak and now she’s making weird squirming motions, like kicking her feet around every now and then but staying in place, she did this before when she wasn’t doing well about a month ago, I have no idea what this could be. Also her legs look slimy but not really in a shedding way, and her breathing seems labored. View attachment 295957
Please somebody reply soon, I don’t know what to keep her temp at or what to do to help her immediately, I don’t even know if she’s gonna last the night she’s so weak..

·
Super Moderator
2,626 Posts
I'm sorry this is happening. Unfortunately, to diagnose whether it is a parasite or oversupplementation issue, or something else, a vet would have to check fecal and blood samples.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sorry this is happening. Unfortunately, to diagnose whether it is a parasite or oversupplementation issue, or something else, a vet would have to check fecal and blood samples.
She has now passed.. is there any way to send her like by mail somewhere to determine what caused this? I’m so heartbroken, she was the best :cry:

·
Super Moderator
2,626 Posts
I'm sorry.

Check into this option for a necropsy:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Im really sorry Chaotic D. Truly I am.

I dont know if you still have the body. Its true necropsy time frames are time limited and great information in quoted preservation option, with one caveat I would respectfully submit, that concerns gross examination . Visuals of diseased tissue changes, agreed lab and or magnification involvement is critical, but visual overview has had its place and is always in the first order.

What comes to mind most readily are foreign obstructions in the gastrointestinal tract and these can take many forms, substrate materials, (bad size, shape or accumulative) to linear obstruction (long human hairs ingested inadvertently somehow by juv V. exanthematicus, Davis) decorative marbles (ingested by a bearded dragon) and a pet anole water crystal tragedy (Brown Anole Death by Acrylamide polymer Gel Ingestion - SWCHR - Bulletin; Winter 2014. ISSN 2330 - 6025.) And many more, including some determined by fairly decent views photographic. (Coco fiber accumulate obstruction in Coleonyx)

Its good to rule out mechanical, ie; non pathogenic causes. Besides high-temperature mishap and child or adult handling injury, I would have to say that obstructions are a common cause of mystery deaths that these are usually easily discovered in gross exam, even states of decomposition if there is still some integrity.

Its been a few days, Shes a good size. If shes been kept in fridge I would still give an open up a shot if you can find a vet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts