Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. Last Saturday my three frogs were eating just fine. Pigging out is more like it. The next morning one of my males in upside down dead in the grotto. I was thinking he drowned. The female is bouncing all around but my other male is sitting still not wanting to eat or move. I took them both along with my dead male to the vet on Monday. All were examined and nothing is outwardly wrong with them. The male gave a fecal sample that did not test positive for parasites or out of balance bacteria levels. The vet is thinking a calcium deficiency but until Sunday the frog was acting normal. The vet said he jumped for him and does not appear to have any broken legs, etc. I dust with Rep-Cal all the time and just changed to Repashy's Calcium Plus on Saturday.

Yesterday morning he was dry heaving and opening and closing his mouth. I have not seen him doing that again - yet. I have him in quarantine cup but still keep it in the tank for humidity. When he moves he spreads his legs out and backs up instead of going forward. He will lay flat and then pop back up.

I have had all of them together since they were about six weeks old. They are now around sixteen months old. I had been using distilled water treated with Blackwater but changed over to spring water on Monday. I don’t have any other frogs or pets except a dog but could I somehow of introduced the Chytrid Fungus into the tank? Should we just treat for the fungus or is this hard on the frog? What other possible causes for this behavior? The vet suggest putting him on antibiotics if he does not starting eats soon.

Thanks for any advice you can give

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Oh no :(

I have no expertise in this area, at all. I'm thinking, though, that if the water is the only thing you've changed, could there have been something in the water? I've heard that often water that is advertised as spring water is tap water. Erm, not sure I'm remembering that exactly right.

In the pic, it looks like the left back leg is a little swollen. Is that how it really looks?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Kris. Yeah, I think it's the picture not the frog. Not sure about the water issue but I bought a name brand so I think it is truely spring water. Thank you for the reply. - Robin

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yesterday morning he was dry heaving and opening and closing his mouth. I have not seen him doing that again - yet.
I hope your frogs are all ok, but what you describe as dry heaving is usually what is seen when the frog is shedding it's skin. They do it almost daily and in most cases early in the morning. It usually freaks people out the first time they see it, but it is just a normal part of their daily routine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts