Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Maybe I could run this by you all. I have a small hawaiian auratus I bought at the maryland reptile show back in september. At the time, he was probably about 3/4 of an inch. He was extremely shy and I never saw him even eat but since I saw little poops from time to time, I figured he was still eating. I've kept him in a small 2 1/2 gallon tank that's heavily planted and misted everyday. So now it's february and he's only grown a couple millimeters since September. He's not really plump but he's not really emaciated either. Is this normal for hawaiian auratus? I always thought that darts were supposed to grow fairly rapidly.

Ken

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have never worked with Hawaiian auratus, but do have some Green and Black auratus so I will relate me experience with them (although the morphs of auratus do act different from each other). I noticed that mine hid all the time as youngsters and then got more bold as they aged, and they also gained more weight as they matured. I think you may want to move it to another tank, or cut out some of the plants if they are too "overgrown". My auratus liked cover, but a little less made feeding easier as well as monitoring them. Humidity is also important for auratus, as mine became more active and bold with higher humidity. But back to the growth issue... I am unsure how fast it should be growing or the adult size of Hawaiian auratus, but mine grew faster as froglets and then started to slow down as they got near adult size. Also, what are you feeding, how often, dusting with what, ect? We may be able to figure out why its not putting any weight on easier with these facts. Males are thin, not fat or round... but with over feeding I am sure you could make a round male auratus (don't recommend this lol). Well, hope I helped some and didn't ramble too much.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Shy Hawaiians

Hi- i know it is frustrating for your frogs to be hiding all the time. I have Hawaiian Auratus myself, and i'm currently breeding them. I have 10 froglets in this so called "reptile ranch" that's pretty decent in size, not too big though. There's a lot of ventilation on this reptile ranch thing, with holes in the top and the side of the cage. I noticed that they were hiding alot, and i figured it was the humidity. So, i took some ceran wrap and covered it up, and later this evening i counted how many little guys were out and jumpin about. Keep in mind they're tiny since the oldest is about a month old, and I counted 9 out of the 10 froglets out in the open jumping around. I could see the other one, he was under the coconut hut i had in there. There are alot of contributing factors that play with darts, especially hawaiians that make them shy. One, in my case, the humidity. Two, the hiding spots. Three, the space. Four, I think the lighting. When I put a flurescent light strip over their ranch, they pop out immeditely. Also, another thing that could make them more bold is scheduling your feeding times to be consistent, and in the same spot. The problem with your auratus growing-- he could be stressed because of his lack of space. You might want to give him a villa suite or somethin i dunno haha! The general rule of thumb is 5 gallons a frog, so you might want to get a 10 and add another later on, once this little guy gets to growing. Also, just keep in mind that auratus are usually shy anyway, compared to many other darts.

p.s.: Hawaiian Auratus are different in color because of their diet in hawaii, but shouldn't be much different in behavior, since they were introduced onto the island to control the bug population. I think they're orginally costa ricans.
Hope this helps :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I currently feed the auratus about once a day and I dust about 2 times a week using a 1:1 mix of herptivite and RepCal. I guess auratus are just naturally smaller than some of the other darts...like tincs. Maybe I should try larger quarters...perhaps that would work.

Thanks again!

Ken

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shy auratus

My blue auratus are more shy than any of my other darts, some individuals more than others, especially as froglets. With a relatively simple tank, rather heavily planted with lots of cover, and huts, they have gradually become more bold. I agree that they seem to do better with high humidity and lots of misting. They are about 2 years old now, and I'm graduating them into a more interestingly decorated (to me) and more open tank where the viewing will be better. They will still have their caves and hidding holes, plus a shallow pond and bromeliads. They have never-the-less, been the most difficult frogs to keep track of and find. So far, even the most shy of them is still alive and obviously eating well. They have not called, but have laid inviable eggs on one occasion, so I may have all females. I'm just not sure at this point. Perhaps the new, much larger habitat may stimulate them.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I found that my Green and black panamanians were the same, but over time they became accustomed to the tank, and became more outgoing. Also the fact that they are usually more outgoing with high humidity, when i built a fogger is when they first started being alot more outgoing.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Blues/shyness

Blue auratus are usually very shy, their only downside. They are stunning frogs, but I haven't gotten them yet because they are so shy. Also, their calling is very soft... so you may have just not heard it. Most frogs take a couple clutches to get things right.

Another great way to get shy frogs to come out more is leaf litter. I can't believe I didn't mention this before. They love it and feel really safe in it, as they can always duck under something if they feel scared instead of making a mad dash for some hiding spot in the back of the tank. It create lots of little hiding places, and sleeping places as well. I recommend at least trying it.

Now back to KHobalt's original post. It sounds like you are feeding it pretty good, so it should be ok as long as it is taking the food. I dust more then twice a week, but some of my frogs are breeding so they really need it. Although I also dust more for froglets and growing frogs. The auratus are smaller then normal tincs, and I would move him to a 10 gallon like exclusivehawk else recommended.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.