Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little concerned about my D. azureus frogs. I have four juveniles living in a 36 gallon corner tank. I keep the humidity at 90% plus. The temperature is in the low to mid-seventies. There are three separate huts and plenty of hiding places.

The problem is, the frogs stay hidden most of the time. I have to drop the flies directly in front of their huts to get them to eat. There are LOTS of flies loose in the tank, but I don't see the frogs out hunting them during the day. (It seems my leucs are always out hunting.) From what I was led to believe, azureus are supposed to be more bold. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Well...I have no experience with them, but I've always heard they do better as pairs.
Perhaps they are all hiding from each other?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well... for the first two months I had them, there were just two frogs. One stayed in a hut most of the time. One was "out and about" more often. A few weeks ago I added two more frogs from the same breeder and same "batch" as the original two. I still have the one frog who is occassionally out and about. The other three hide. Two of them are sharing one hut. The other two each have their own.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All four of the frogs are only about four months old, so I can't even hazard a guess on the sexes.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I had 4 that i kept in the same tank as well.....I ended up with a 2.2 but

when the 4 were togeather they were always out in the open, when i put them in pairs and in diffrent tanks they hide and only one stays out the majority of the time. I think it just depends on the frogs.....and how they like their enviroment.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Is the tank in a heavy traffic area? I have some very shy leucs that are both young (like yours) and pretty much the only time they see a big predator like me is when I open the tank to feed them... but they are catching on that I am food, not a predator.

Anyway, tanks in low traffic areas can tend to produce some shy frogs, ime. Obviously, when they see food (right outside their door), they hunt and eat. Keep feeding them that way and they should start to associate you coming to the tank with the addition of food.

I have a feeling they are out, hunting and such, when you are not around... but when the vibrations of you walking towards the room are felt, they dash to the huts. Have you tried sneaking up on the tank at all hours of the day?

Josh

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tank is located in the far corner of the livingroom. It's just me and my husband in the house, so there really are no "high traffic" areas. I do have four cats and I was concerned that the cats might be frightening them, but the tank is high enough that the cats can't see into it.

My leuc tank, on the other hand, is much closer to floor level where one of my cats sits right next to the tank and watches. I think the cat is more interested in the beta that lives in the pond than the frogs, but the frogs don't really seem to care.

I have been sitting in the chair next to the leuc tank, six feet away from the azureus tank and below their sight level almost all day (when I was home sick). I know I wasn't frightening them, the cats weren't harassing them and still, I only saw the one frog named "Taz".

When I feed the frogs, I tap on the side of the cup that I use in the hopes that they will get used to the sound and realize that it's feeding time. My major concern is that if one of the frogs isn't in its' usual hut, it won't get fed. I hate to go disturbing the tank looking for the frogs to make sure I know where they are so I can feed them. I don't want to cause them stress. Right now, I'm the one who's stressed worrying that they aren't getting enough to eat. In an effort to make sure enough flies are near their huts, I end up putting more flies than I need into the tank. The extras go uneaten and are increasing in population in the tank.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Azureus are pretty bold...In general, I've never heard of them hiding all the time. As a point of reference, mine are in a heavily planted tank and have gotten bolder by the day. How old are yours? How is their weight? If they have a nice robust look and are otherwise healthy, I wouldn't worry about it...give them time. If they are dropping weight and look kind of sluggish, you might want to have a fecal run to find out what kind of worm load they have. I also agree with Josh...if you have them in a higher traffic area, they tend to get used to their surroundings without being so skittish. One last thing, I always spray before I feed and that really awaken their hunting instincts. I lied...one more item to think about. I usually feed them the perfect amount, which is to say that they gorge during the initial feeding of FFs and finish with some hunting. When I overfeed, they seem to be content with not moving around too much and eating whatever FFs come across their path.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well this is my recent experience with our azureus, we had them upstairs for a wile and were always out, all over the place actually, then we moved them downstairs, and all of a sudden they were hiding all the time, we never saw them. This went on for a good few months and we then thought maybe it was because The temp downstairs was in the low to mid 70s, upstairs it was mid 70s to 80, so we put another heater on it and put some of that thin reflective survival blanket on the back (not really a blanket but you know what I mean right??) anyway it brought the temp up and now they are out and about, might be worth a try to get it up a few degrees. Just a thought……
Michelle

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I agree Michelle...raising the temperature to around the 80 degree mark could raise their metabolism and thereby making them more active and hungry. It's worth a try.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the frogs at the end of November. They were about eight weeks old. So, they are still young (three and a half months), and I've only had them for a month and a half. It could be they just need more time to adjust and I'm worried for nothing.

All four appear bright-eyed with nice chubby bellies, but since I own an Olympus BH2 microscope, I will check for parasites anyway.

I probably wouldn't have been so concerned about them if I hadn't gotten the four leucs in December. The leucs are so active and outgoing by comparison!

A question for you experienced froggers:

Should I cut back a little on feeding and force the frogs to do a little more hunting and a little less sitting and waiting for food to walk by? However, I don't want them losing weight or suffering calcium deficiency.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Reefgal, I would be hesitant to raise the temps in the enclosure. If is is in the 70's that is perfect, temps that are too high will harm the frogs more than low temps!
Your frogs are young, 4 months right? Younger frogs are less bold than older frogs. You just recently introduced more froglets, that can weird them out for a bit, ever when they are young. Aren't your vivariums pretty new too, they might need time to get used to it.
My azureus are really bold, but mine are also 2 years old and I raised them from froglets. Individuals vary, one of my leucs is really, really shy she hides everytime anyone goes near the enclosure. I have had her for 5 years and she has produced 100+ (or more) eggs for me. I have a P.vittatus that I never see, I hear him calling just about every day. My other vittatus will take food from my fingers. Panguana Lamasi are supposed to be shy, but one of mine is constantly out, it actually jumped out once when I was feeding them and jumped in the food cup another time.

Give them time to settle in and grow up some, try to observe them eating just to make sure that they are ok. As long as they are healthy I am sure they will become more bold

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ed,

I agree that I may be concerned for nothing. I do watch and make sure that all four frogs eat when I feed them. They all appear healthy. I think this is a good time to practice a little patience and just give them time. In the meantime, I have the leucs to keep me entertained! ;)

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and advise.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I don't claim to be an expert (yet :lol: ) on dart behavior but if I had to take a guess, the introduction of the new frogs to the existing frogs may be the key. I have just the opposite problem that you do....our Leucs are shy as shy can be while the Azureus are very bold. They are in a high traffic area in our kitchen and if they see you coming by the tank, they will hop to the front hoping it is feeding time. If you are a little late with their flies, they'll let you know by hopping up to the front of the tank...it's actually pretty cute. The leucs on the other hand want to hide all the time and we end up just giving them a healthy supply of flies and letting them get them in their own sweet time. I do worry about the effectiveness of the calcium dusting that way but suspect that things will sort out.

Good luck with your Azureus.

Elmo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A really funny thing happened Friday when I got home from work. When I fed the azureus, all four of them were out and actively hunting. They stayed out for at least a half hour and were all over the place. The next morning while I was sitting in front of the tanks drinking coffee, three out of the four azureus were out and busy. Just figures! Kinda like a computer problem...as soon as you call the tech over to look at it, the problem disappears. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
reefgal said:
A really funny thing happened Friday when I got home from work. When I fed the azureus, all four of them were out and actively hunting. They stayed out for at least a half hour and were all over the place. The next morning while I was sitting in front of the tanks drinking coffee, three out of the four azureus were out and busy. Just figures! Kinda like a computer problem...as soon as you call the tech over to look at it, the problem disappears. :)
Hey reefgal, I'm having the same issues. I got my frogs last Saturday and they were very active after about an hour. They were climbing all over the tank, up the waterfall, up plants and checking things out. A few hours later they all settled in their new spots and I haven't seen much of them since. There is one very bold frog that comes out more and 2 others that came out when I fed them. I'm guessing the just need to adjust from the move.

Here's a pic of the one that was hanging out right in front on top of a plant.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine did the same thing when I first put them in the new vivarium. I only had two at the time and they were literally bouncing off the walls. They did this for a couple of hours before settling down and finding a hiding spot. Then they switched to shy mode for a couple of weeks. It seems that at least three of the four have decided it's okay to do a little exploring. Guess the keyword is "patience"!

BTW - cute frog!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
reefgal said:
Guess the keyword is "patience"!

BTW - cute frog!
Yeah, I have the urge to go look for the 2 that haven't showed themselves but I'll give them more time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts