Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I've never taken a pic of them, but I'm talking thousands and thousands for your standard sized culture. You should be able to blow over the top and see hundreds jump

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Currently have six tropicals that are all about equally producing
Then two pink cxs so here they are.

So here is a turface sub I started with

A month or so later

Then tropicals kept on charcoal only fed yeast

Pinks on leaf litter

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Really bill????
Hmmm well I will take that as a compliment, but super simple.
RO water only obviously hard wood charcoal, feed dry active yeast as needed, store at 73F. Then wait
I see people adding rice and this and that and mushrooms.... All full of mites and junk. Yeast is clean they thrive on it and that's all I need.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Really bill????
Hmmm well I will take that as a compliment, but super simple.
RO water only obviously hard wood charcoal, feed dry active yeast as needed, store at 73F. Then wait
I see people adding rice and this and that and mushrooms.... All full of mites and junk. Yeast is clean they thrive on it and that's all I need.
I always have used tap water and the substrate is coco fiber. Would these facts explain bad production? I do keep at your suggested temps and feed just the yeast. Why only RO water? What bad effects can tap do? Thanks Bill

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
don't mean to butt in, but tap a lot of times has chlorine added to kill organisms in the water, thus hindering the health of springtails.
Yes chlorine is always added to municiple water. initially the chlorine is bad but that goes away in a few days, how ever it is the mixture of heavy metals that concerns my cxs, Cu and Zn Are not things I enjoy mixed in with the springtails (as you add water and it evaporates concentrations only increase.)
Modeling the effects of binary mixtures - PubMed Mobile

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Here is one of mine, ABG with lots of crushed oak leaves, some coco cubes, and a few larger chunks of charcoal. I feed mushrooms (mircowaved), Omega One fishfood (color flakes and veggie), and yeast. I only use spring water. This pic was taken after seeding 6 tanks today (there are usually way more springs).

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
Most tap water also has a PH around 10-12.. which is very alkaline and terrible for insects and amphibians... RO is closer to 7 which is neutral. Even bottled spring water has a pretty high PH. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Moty: Sorry, I can't give it all away. I'll just say the final product is a sterile dry mix of mushrooms, rice, yeast, vegetables, etc. The same mix is used for all of my isopod or any springtail culture with very good results. The powder mix is 100% natural and almost 95% digestible by the microfauna the remaining 5% acts like a matrix and becomes almost like another substrate layer. Everyone's got their own custom powder mix anyway, and by the looks of the posts, they do just fine with practically anything.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts