Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to post some of my new acquisitions and recent bloomers :). Enjoy!!!

Promenaea "chameleon" - I try to avoid hybrids, but this plant was too hard to pass up. Keep an eye on the classifieds this fall for divisions of my mother plant :)

Sigmatostalix pichinchensis - sorry for the crappy pics, my macro isn't good enough for these tiny flowers, less than 1mm maximum!!!

Dresslerella caesariata - one of my new favorites, the leafs, flowers and inflorescences are covered in hairs (trichomes)

Psychopsis papilio

Stelis argentata - Stelis is quickly becoming one of my favorite viv orchids, they bloom all year for me :)

Brassia hybrid - costed $5 and 4 weeks later, I get this amazing show :)

This thread is open to ALL to post your orchid flower and plant photos.

ed parker

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
How are you growing your Dresslerella?

Here's a few of mine

1 Bletilla striata
2 Encyclia alata
3 Encyclia tampense
4 Phrag. Memoria Dick Clements
5 Eurychone rothschildiana
6 Paph. delenatii
7 Aerangis biloba

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
Thanks! Yours are nice too in both threads. I especially like the Pleuro. dodsonii for the leaves. I have a tank very similar to you set up that I use to grow my temp sensitive plants.

How long have you been growing orchids?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I have these in my own thread, but the photography section is pretty dead so it cant hurt to add them here. These are my only flowers so far. 2 new blooms on the way though :)

You should totally just make this an orchid bloom thread, since all the other stuff is posted in the "tis the season" thread.

Leptotes bicolor

Masdevallia Floribunda

Phalaenopsis Parishii

Cirrhopetalum Pulchellum

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
some stuff thats blooming now...

Bulbophyllum kalimpong- 2nd blooming this year

Bulbophyllum Elizabeth Anne 'Buckleberry'

Multifloral Paphiopedilum hybrid

Dendrobium oligophyllum...been blooming over 3 years straight. Its an old pic, but I havent bothered to take a new one in a while

Bulbophyllum wendlandii

Papaver somniferum, various cultivars

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How long have you been growing orchids?
I've been growing for about 6 years, I started a little after getting in to frogs. I've been collecting species though for about the last 3 years or so. Unfortunately I don't have a greenhouse yet, so I am primarily restricted to viv sized orchids or good low humidity window sill stuff :).

Grimm, I love your shots, i'm going to have to pm you about photostacking, i've never tried it but you are obviously getting great results!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Ok, I know this is not a bloom, but I'm pretty excited - I'm a total orchid newb and this is my first real growth!

It's Bulbophyllum lepidum x annandalei. It's a new cross, so I'm really hoping I can get it to flower.

:)

·
Registered
995 Posts
Ok, I know this is not a bloom, but I'm pretty excited - I'm a total orchid newb and this is my first real growth!

It's Bulbophyllum lepidum x annandalei. It's a new cross, so I'm really hoping I can get it to flower.

:)

very nice mike...

I find the trick to getting Bulbos to bloom [atleast for me] is to sit them in water for a couple months, then let them try out until the moss is bone dry and leaving the like that for a couple days...I've gotten restrepias, dendrobiums, dendrochilums and bulbos to flower doing this method...

·
Registered
969 Posts
very nice mike...

I find the trick to getting Bulbos to bloom [atleast for me] is to sit them in water for a couple months, then let them try out until the moss is bone dry and leaving the like that for a couple days...I've gotten restrepias, dendrobiums, dendrochilums and bulbos to flower doing this method...
Looks like you are doing well Mike.
I haven't worked with that particular cross, but being that one parent is B. annandalei, I'd be a little careful about letting it sit in water. No insult intended baobab, as it may turn out that handling it this way would get it to flower. But, I've found that while this species likes even moisture, it is also prone to rotting when too wet. That doesn't mean this hybrid will be prone to rot, but it is worth keeping that in mind. This hybrid could also turn out to be easy to flower, so I would just continue doing what your doing.

Here are the flowers from B. annandalei.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My one orchid in bloom so far is Restrepia antennifera. Not sure if the species name hasn't changed, it came with that label. The two plants I have went into the viv at the beginning of March, and they have not stopped blooming since. Not a spectacular flower, but I've always liked it, and it's nice to have 3 or 4 to brighten up the viv.

Mike in Helotes

PS Your P. papilio is really nice, like the really broad lip!

Sorry for the bad phone pics...

Psychopsis papilio

Oeceoclades decaryana

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have several miniature species of Aerangis, Angraecum, Crippia, etc. in my viv's. A couple have made spikes. That doesn't mean I will get flowers. We'll see.

Very nice Aerangis mystacidii flowers! Bet they are fragrant as well? I just like the whole group, and like you, will grow them outside of viv's if needed.

Mike

I have this Aerangis mystacidii in bloom this week. I don't think these are very viv suitable. They seem touchy when it comes to moisture and need a lot of air movement combined with high humidity.

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
I think as long as you keep the humidity fairly constant and try to keep the spike from being misted, you should get flowers. I grow mine in a terrarium, but I have 3 computer fans going in a 20g for the extra air circulation.

Which Cribbia species do you have? I had confusa, but it was eaten by a rat before I moved all of them into the tank.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts