Dendroboard banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Personally, I think you're going to find that to be a bit small and cramped to do much with. If at all possible, I recommend you go with at least 18x18x18, preferably bigger. I guess it depends what if anything you plan to keep in it.

·
Registered
E. Anthonyii Santa Isabels
321 Posts
So the first pic
Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Flower Terrestrial plant

is my original tank, which I ended up turning into a growout/quarantine tank. It was a 12x12x18, which the certain vendor (to be unnamed here) I bought it from advertised as appropriate for 1-2 smaller darts. After a couple months, I decided it was better long term to have my e. Anthonyi in a larger tank, so I upgraded them. They seemed fine in the 12x12, but I figured it would be nicer for them to have more temperature and humidity gradients (as well as just more usable space!). Such a small footprint, I found, most everything tended to be wet or dry at the same time in the tank. I kept this 12x12x18 as a quarantin/growout for a few more months, but more recently swapped it out for a 12x12x24, still a small foot print, but a little more vertical space to work with, and it’s not super obvious in the photo, but I built in some sloping tiers to maximize floor space.
Window Plant Botany Organism Terrestrial plant

Plant Houseplant Leaf Organism Flower

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dried them out and sprayed them with several coats of acrylic sealer (clear coat) before putting them back in.
What kind of acrylic sealers exactly would be safe for this? I have these exact mushrooms that I had in my tarantula enclosures, and even in there (much drier than you would keep any frog) they got soggy and moldy and nasty.
I'm doing my first dart frog build this week and LOVE the mushroom shelves and really want to do something like that in my build, but am totally lost on what kind of sealer to use. I am in the UK so chemical composition (or what to avoid in terms of ingredients) would be super helpful instead of product names. Thanks so much in advance :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
What kind of acrylic sealers exactly would be safe for this? I have these exact mushrooms that I had in my tarantula enclosures, and even in there (much drier than you would keep any frog) they got soggy and moldy and nasty.
I'm doing my first dart frog build this week and LOVE the mushroom shelves and really want to do something like that in my build, but am totally lost on what kind of sealer to use. I am in the UK so chemical composition (or what to avoid in terms of ingredients) would be super helpful instead of product names. Thanks so much in advance :)
This is what was recommended to me which I used. Not sure on exact chemical composition but you might be able to do some digging to find out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Actually fairly new to terrariums vivariums and frogs lol but I fell in love quick this is my 12x12x18 made a custom drain using a Exo terra sky led let me know what you guys think I’m actually in the middle of setting up a new viv 18x18x24 the Exo terra w the drain built in looking into doing hygrolon oh yeah and that’s my boy Kermit lol black and green auratus actually looking for a female for him now also If anyone has Any advice on hygrolon backgrounds please let me know
Plant Flower Houseplant Flowerpot Plant community

Plant Leaf Botany Houseplant Water
Flower Purple Plant Petal Organism

·
Registered
969 Posts
Any advice on hygrolon backgrounds please let me know
In my experience with an equivalent material (Spyra) and the experience of many other people on this site, Hygrolon is a difficult material that is not really conducive to plant growth unless it is kept constantly wet via a drip wall or wicking from a reservoir of water. Drip walls aren’t ideal for dart frogs because they tend to cause water wicking issues and keep the whole area around the background excessively wet, and reservoirs aren’t recommended because they can store bacteria instead of allowing dirty water to flush out the bottom of the tank and drain. Without extra water added, plants will eventually vine up the Hygrolon but no faster than the traditional GS/coco fiber method, and you will not see much lush moss growth (which is often what people are going for with Hygrolon). One of the methods growing in popularity is a cork mosaic with sphagnum, if you search for that on here you’ll find lots of guides and examples.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In my experience with an equivalent material (Spyra) and the experience of many other people on this site, Hygrolon is a difficult material that is not really conducive to plant growth unless it is kept constantly wet via a drip wall or wicking from a reservoir of water. Drip walls aren’t ideal for dart frogs because they tend to cause water wicking issues and keep the whole area around the background excessively wet, and reservoirs aren’t recommended because they can store bacteria instead of allowing dirty water to flush out the bottom of the tank and drain. Without extra water added, plants will eventually vine up the Hygrolon but no faster than the traditional GS/coco fiber method, and you will not see much lush moss growth (which is often what people are going for with Hygrolon). One of the methods growing in popularity is a cork mosaic with sphagnum, if you search for that on here you’ll find lots of guides and examples.
Thank you so much for your response. After some research I came across everything you just said I was going to do the fiber background tf/coco fiber but then I realized it would also decompose etc just more hassle soooooo. I decided to do exactly what you last mentioned and I’m actually in the process here’s an under construction pic it’s the 18x18x24 Exo terr w the built in drain

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks cool! I think most of the people that keep PDFs would suggest that you ditch the moss and pile a bunch of leaf litter in its place. It’ll look more natural too .
Yeah I’m currently doing a new build going to ditch the moss as the floor anyways and throw the leaf litter like it’s supposed to be haha he’s happy tho and likes the moss from what I can tell

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you so much for your response. After some research I came across everything you just said I was going to do the fiber background tf/coco fiber but then I realized it would also decompose etc just more hassle soooooo. I decided to do exactly what you last mentioned and I’m actually in the process here’s an under construction pic it’s the 18x18x24 Exo terr w the built in drain
I was thinking using a mix of dirt some sphagnum and use some coco fiber to cover the white using silicone but I’m gonna hold off on using too much fiber etc just want something the plants the crawl on

·
Registered
969 Posts
Just to be clear, this isn't cracked cork mosaic - cracked cork mosaic is siliconing a mosaic of cork pieces onto the glass and then stuffing long fiber sphagnum moss between the pieces (some people use other mosses, but I recommend good quality sphagnum for its water retention, longevity and resistance to mold, fungus, algae etc). No Great Stuff involved. What you're doing is a modified GS/coco fiber technique (or whatever you decide to put on top of the Great Stuff). Which actually won't decompose, it lasts a very long time, whereas with cracked cork mosaic I suspect the sphagnum will need to be replaced every couple years, although I haven't personally used that method yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts