Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can’t decide if I want to do all three sides of my 18x18x24 or just the back. Show me what you got! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
I'm doing an 18x18x24" build now. I'm doing coco fiber on one side, cork mosaic background on the back, and nothing on the third side. I'll post pictures when my build progresses

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm doing an 18x18x24" build now. I'm doing coco fiber on one side, cork mosaic background on the back, and nothing on the third side. I'll post pictures when my build progresses

Seems like that’s the most popular route. Do you feel like the sides are too cramped doing both sides?

·
Registered
127 Posts
TBH I feel like you’re splitting hairs but eh. Personally I’ve always preferred the look of 3 sides covered in a some organic looking material. Seeing a tank with sides/back even partially exposed ruins the look for me. I don’t find glass an aesthetically pleasing material especially when the goal for most people it seems is to create a slice of the jungle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TBH I feel like you’re splitting hairs but eh. Personally I’ve always preferred the look of 3 sides covered in a some organic looking material. Seeing a tank with sides/back even partially exposed ruins the look for me. I don’t find glass an aesthetically pleasing material especially when the goal for most people it seems is to create a slice of the jungle.

Not really because the main goal is to see how much space is left over and how it looks when all three sides are covered for an 18x18

·
Registered
127 Posts
Fair enough, there are quite a few background that have very low profiles so you can still get the jungle look with out sacrificing space, also counter argument to me leaving the sides exposed may give the tank a more open look. I did find my tank looked more cramped with the sides and back covered despite only losing half an inch.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fair enough, there are quite a few background that have very low profiles so you can still get the jungle look with out sacrificing space, also counter argument to me leaving the sides exposed may give the tank a more open look. I did find my tank looked more cramped with the sides and back covered despite only losing half an inch.

This is what I have so far. I already silicones the sides so I think I’m just going to stay with that. The top pieces are exactly in there positions but it was the only way I could get them all to stand up. Picture doesn’t quite do it justice but I think it’s going to turn out pretty good once I get the foam in.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I find that smaller pieces are easily “lost” in the foam backgrounds so it may be worth just clustering it together with the other pieces.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

This is what I have so far. I already silicones the sides so I think I’m just going to stay with that. The top pieces are exactly in there positions but it was the only way I could get them all to stand up. Picture doesn’t quite do it justice but I think it’s going to turn out pretty good once I get the foam in.

Yea that’s true. I ended up finishing today. Glad how it turned out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Who says it's all or nothing? You could also just attach ledges to the sides (like the below).

I recommend that for "free standing" vivs - frogs get something to climb on / usable area and you still get to see in and check on them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here’s mine before I killed all of the plants : ) if I were to get a second shot I would probably only do the back or maybe the back and one side. Mine came out pretty thick and took up a lot of space.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts