Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some ABG mix from Joshsfrogs and will soon be putting it in my first real vivarium. Do people usually sanitize new substrates before using them? (I did a quick search but did not find much information)

Thanks.

·
Registered
776 Posts
They only parts of the substrate that I sanitize is the leaf litter and sphagnum. Everything else I just throw in (coco earth/fiber, ABG mix, clay, tree fern, etc.). Besides boiling I am not quite sure what soil sanitation methods you could use. Boiling though can reduce the amount of water soluble nutrients in the soil, which would kind of defeat the purpose of using ABG mix for your plants.

·
Registered
42 Posts
ok, I have a question, too:

microwave how long? And what exactly are we trying to accomplish? I doubt it'll kill many bacteria; maybe some small invertebrates and eggs though - has anyone tested this

At any rate, microwave, what, on high? for maybe 2 minutes?

·
Registered
701 Posts
James!? 15 minutes? Wouldn't that burn stuff? 15 mins in the microwave heats stuff up to about 600f lol! I would microwave for a minute max, IMO.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
ive been microwaving substrate like this for years, and never had an issue, so you tell me.

im off right now to pilfer some magnolia leaves which i'll be putting in the micro for 5-10 minutes when i return.

james

·
Registered
701 Posts
ive been microwaving substrate like this for years, and never had an issue, so you tell me.

im off right now to pilfer some magnolia leaves which i'll be putting in the micro for 5-10 minutes when i return.

james
Ok thanks. Never microwaved substrate before, but I baked it moist for an hour in the oven at 300f and it burned a tad and was INCREDIBLY steamy hot in the center

·
Registered
802 Posts
I doubt it'll kill many bacteria...
Why wouldn't the microwave kill bacteria? Bacteria have a pretty high water content and microwaves can boil water. Am I missing something here?

James!? 15 minutes? Wouldn't that burn stuff? 15 mins in the microwave heats stuff up to about 600f lol! I would microwave for a minute max, IMO.
That wouldn't burn stuff. A minute in the microwave wouldn't be good for much more than a placebo effect.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
ovens work on a different principal that microwaves.

as long as there is water in the substrate, the microwave will simply excite those molecules creating heat through friction. ovens use radiant heat and i too have burned the hell out of some stuff in the oven

james

·
Registered
42 Posts
Why wouldn't the microwave kill bacteria? Bacteria have a pretty high water content and microwaves can boil water. Am I missing something here?
it'll kill many bacteria no doubt, but probably not all of them. Some make endospores, which survive almost anything.

At any rate, you wouldn't want to kill your bacteria. That would make your soil inert and useless.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts