Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So few weeks ago I unexpectedly rescue 5 azureus froglets. Because they were new to me and I have not kept foglets before I was concerned when I couldn't see all of the frogs everyday to see how they were doing/eating. Because of that I separated them into three separate holding tote/tanks. I put two in each of the larger 20 gallon totes, and one in its own a 10 gallon acrylic terrarium.

Now it's been a few weeks and everyone is settled in and I know everyone is eating and doing well. I was reading over the care instructions for azureus frogs again and it talks about how they don't do well in small groups as juveniles and would do better in 5 + groups.

That being the case should I put all of them back together? Or should I leave them in their individual tanks until they get bigger? I am hoping Beyond hope that I have four males and one female LOL, or even five males however I don't think that's going to be likely.

Ultimately I would like to pair up at least three of the frogs together. So I would only have two terrariums going instead of 3 or more. So that being the case what would you do in this situation?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,936 Posts
If they are happy the way they are and nobody is losing weight/looking skinny, I would leave them the way they are. While they are froglets, it's less likely that they will be very aggressive toward each other though there maybe some that are more aggressive feeders than others. I like your plan of splitting them up in the long run. Tinc morphs (and Azureus are close enough to be Tinc morphs if you don't technically consider them to be) do best in 1.1 pairs (or single frogs in a tank) as adults. If you do try to put multiple non-1.1 frogs in a tank, same sex (only males or only females) is probably your best option.

Mark

·
Registered
588 Posts
How old are they? If they are very young I don't think it will make much difference. If there are a few months old and starting to approach the 7-8 month mark you could end up stressing them out a lot if you have more than one female in the bunch (but you won't know till at least 7-8 months old and probably not for sure until 10-12 months). If they are doing fine now, I'd leave them as they are.Tincs are not group frogs, so as adults you're not going to be able to keep them as a group. You'll be able to do male/female pairs. So three in a tank isn't a good idea. Occasionally folks are able to sometimes get some individual tincs to do ok in a group, but it's not the vast majority of the time. Hope that helps.

Reactions: narnythegreat

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How old are they? If they are very young I don't think it will make much difference. If there are a few months old and starting to approach the 7-8 month mark you could end up stressing them out a lot if you have more than one female in the bunch (but you won't know till at least 7-8 months old and probably not for sure until 10-12 months). If they are doing fine now, I'd leave them as they are.Tincs are not group frogs, so as adults you're not going to be able to keep them as a group. You'll be able to do male/female pairs. So three in a tank isn't a good idea. Occasionally folks are able to sometimes get some individual tincs to do ok in a group, but it's not the vast majority of the time. Hope that helps.
They're probably like 5 months old right now plus or minus.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts