Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my first WTFs from Josh's Frogs in a couple of weeks. I'm ordering 3 and can't wait! I do have some concerns over whether or not they need to be quarantined before being introduced to their enclosure. I'm setting the tank up soon (18 x 18 x 24) so that I can make sure the conditions are correct and consistent. They say that they arrive about 1 inch in size and are juveniles. They're all going to arrive at the same time the day after I buy them. I've emailed Josh's Frogs but haven't gotten a response yet.
Should I quarantine my frogs before they share an enclosure?
I'm probably being overly concerned and silly, but it's always good to make sure!

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Its not silly to ask such a question.

Personally I feel its best to get them in stable situ with as few gratuitous changes and waits as possible.

They are from the same source and are not entering contact with other established animal/s.

Besides a good quarantine environment requires its own planning and proper strategy.

Concentrate your attention on your 3 frogs vivarium and once its composed - go forward as if they are already in there, turning on the gear, to gain intimacy with the equipment, effects, and readings, making any adjustments before the frogs are in. Day cycle and night cycle. Just as though they are in viv.

It can make a difference for your ease of experience in receiving them as much as theirs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not silly to ask such a question.

Personally I feel its best to get them in stable situ with as few gratuitous changes and waits as possible.

They are from the same source and are not entering contact with other established animal/s.

Besides a good quarantine environment requires its own planning and proper strategy.

Concentrate your attention on your 3 frogs vivarium and once its composed - go forward as if they are already in there, turning on the gear, to gain intimacy with the equipment, effects, and readings, making any adjustments before the frogs are in. Day cycle and night cycle. Just as though they are in viv.

It can make a difference for your ease of experience in receiving them as much as theirs.
Thank you for the advice! I was worried that they'd be stressed from shipping and changing enclosure. I'll make sure their home is set up and the equipment is all working well.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Set it up and have/keep it running as though they are already in it.

Get a temperature gun if you dont already have one.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
They will be stressed. Mist all the surfaces in the vivarium before you open the shipping box. Dont drench it, just a fine field on glass and surfaces. Make sure they know where the water is. Make it amenable for them to hang out on the rim of the bowl, with a little branch or piece of corkbark.

Avoid Bright viv lighting right out of shipment. Its better that they take a soak then hide immediately.

·
Registered
422 Posts
You should quarantine regardless of how many frogs you have in your collection. If the worst would happen and a frog dies, having it in quarantine means you don't have to tear apart your entire enclosure, sanitize it and start over from scratch.

·
Super Moderator
3,787 Posts
Personally, I'm with the 'skip quarantine' camp in this particular case. In this situation, losing an animal to inadequate housing far, far outweighs the chance of losing one to a transmissible pathogen. Quarantine is quite valuable, but is never an absolute; there are many considerations that go into balancing and minimizing risk.

As an aside, remember to wash your hands between frog and gecko care, and never reuse food for one animal that has been in contact with the other species or their enclosure (e.g. escaped crickets should be euthanized and discarded).

·
Registered
1.1 D.Tinctorius nominat, 0.0.2 D.Tinctorius tumucumaque, 1.1 oophaga pumilio bastimentos rfb
106 Posts
Sorry for the stupid question what’s a Wtf? I only know Wf which is Oophaga sylvatica white foot

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm getting my first WTFs from Josh's Frogs in a couple of weeks. I'm ordering 3 and can't wait! I do have some concerns over whether or not they need to be quarantined before being introduced to their enclosure. I'm setting the tank up soon (18 x 18 x 24) so that I can make sure the conditions are correct and consistent. They say that they arrive about 1 inch in size and are juveniles. They're all going to arrive at the same time the day after I buy them. I've emailed Josh's Frogs but haven't gotten a response yet.
Should I quarantine my frogs before they share an enclosure?
I'm probably being overly concerned and silly, but it's always good to make sure!
Thank you all so much for the help and info. I'll keep you all updated when I have the enclosure fully prepared before the frogs arrive. I've decided that since they are from the same breeder and the risks with poor husbandry in a quarantine tank, that They'll go right into their enclosure and I will keep a very close eye on them to make sure they're not stressed!

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Cool, keep it on and running, point that temp gun in and on all the surface areas you have arranged for the guys. Important reference time frames are the times in your home that are the the warmest, usually from 1 to 3 in the afternoon, and when its coolest usually earliest AM. As ambient temp does influence the temps.
Re evaluate often and as seasons, ambients change.
Looking forward to seeing your babies!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts