Dendroboard banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Administrator
7,633 Posts
Dart frogs rarely drown in water features -- at least, that not the main reason they're not a good idea (though the concern is often used as a sort of red herring in discussions). If there is water in there, whether it is running or not, the frogs will be likely to deposit tads in it, and that could/will turn out badly. Returning pathogen- and nitrogenous waste laden water to anywhere the frogs might contact it is also to be avoided, for hopefully obvious reasons.

If you can work in more climbing opportunities -- horizontal/angled larger/thicker hardscape elements get a lot of use from leucs -- that would be good. Leucs are strong and active climbers.

· Administrator
7,633 Posts
Many water features have a pump; a physical danger even if covered (tads are not necessarily strong swimmers).

Many water features have at least one spot that a tad can get but a human hand cannot; my own frog killing (it isn't an accident if it should have been avoided; I was negligent, and I don't like to be negligent) water feature was like this.

Water changes in the drainage layer -- I guess. That's a complicated way to design something that doesn't even need to exist; it is quite analogous to using one's toilet as a bathtub in a case where one doesn't even need a bathtub, and just disinfecting it a lot. Generally, complicating a viv over and above the needs/benefits of the captives isn't exactly reasonable (I take this to be axiomatic, though -- it is the KISS principle. I suppose; others have different world views).

Providing deposition sites for tads is a great idea, and it seems there is at least one Tad-Pool in there. I use 1.5oz condiment cups and they work well too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts