Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished setting up the hard scape. I have 2 coco huts coming in the mail to put in each of the back corners. This is an old viv I got off marketplace for $40 and it’s my 1st ever one so I’m kind of learning as I go. It has a water feature in the center that trickles down do a pool of rocks, I won’t turn it on continuously but just at times for fun while I’m checking out the tank. I have a few ferns and small vining plants under a separate grow light that I will eventually plant in here. I plan to have 2-3 Leucomelas in here.
Wood Trunk Terrestrial plant Plant Soil

Wood Organism Natural material Trunk Soil

Brown Pollinator Natural material Wood Apiary

Wood Rectangle Natural material Gas Soil

Mushroom Natural landscape Wood Organism Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, If anyones curious about the water feature, this is what it looks like running. I tested it out before putting everything in the tank to verify it works, but haven’t turned it back on since I put substrate in. Still have to cut the tube flush with the wood to hide it better also.
Hood Automotive tire Wood Plant Trunk

·
Registered
528 Posts
What are the dimensions of this enclosure? What are you using for substrate? It looks like leaves over gravel? That’s cool.

Aesthetically, I think it looks nice for your first build, but I feel that you’re going to run into some challenges with your water idea. That’s to be expected for first timers and veterans alike though.

What plants are you planning to add? It will obviously look even better after planted and grown in a bit. Have you considered adding some rocks and maybe some different types of wood?

Other frog-knowledgeable members will comment on your enclosure’s functionality for the intended 2-3 Leucomelas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are the dimensions of this enclosure? What are you using for substrate? It looks like leaves over gravel? That’s cool.

Aesthetically, I think it looks nice for your first build, but I think you’re going to run into some challenges with your water idea. That’s to be expected for first timers and veterans alike though.

What plants are you planning to add? It will obviously look even better after planted and grown in a bit. I too think you should add some rocks and maybe some different types of wood.

I’ll let other frog-knowledgeable members comment on your enclosure’s functionality for the intended 2-3 Leucomelas.
Sorry should have provided that information originally. Enclosure is 18 x 18 x 36 (wide). I have egg crate for most of the false bottom and then just river rock around the edges to hide the egg crate from site. ABG on top of a standard mesh barrier with leaves on top of the ABG.

As mentioned in my previous post, I will only be using the water feature while viewing the enclosure for 5-10 minutes at a time, under supervision. So frogs will never be able to drown in the water.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grape wood is known to break down quick in vivs, so keep that in mind. As for the waterfall, it might seem alright but it can quickly turn your substrate into a soggy mess, might be better to take it out
The picture below was taken before I put the leaf litter in. You can see the water feature actually drains directly into a pile of rocks, no substrate should be in direct contact with the water.

but I didn’t know that about grape wood, thank you for the information. I’ll make sure to keep an eye on it and replace as needed.
Wood Rectangle Gas Electric blue Insect

·
Administrator
7,285 Posts
Dart frogs rarely drown in water features -- at least, that not the main reason they're not a good idea (though the concern is often used as a sort of red herring in discussions). If there is water in there, whether it is running or not, the frogs will be likely to deposit tads in it, and that could/will turn out badly. Returning pathogen- and nitrogenous waste laden water to anywhere the frogs might contact it is also to be avoided, for hopefully obvious reasons.

If you can work in more climbing opportunities -- horizontal/angled larger/thicker hardscape elements get a lot of use from leucs -- that would be good. Leucs are strong and active climbers.

·
Registered
D. Auratus "El Cope"; T. Corticale
189 Posts
Dart frogs rarely drown in water features -- at least, that not the main reason they're not a good idea (though the concern is often used as a sort of red herring in discussions). If there is water in there, whether it is running or not, the frogs will be likely to deposit tads in it, and that could/will turn out badly. Returning pathogen- and nitrogenous waste laden water to anywhere the frogs might contact it is also to be avoided, for hopefully obvious reasons.

If you can work in more climbing opportunities -- horizontal/angled larger/thicker hardscape elements get a lot of use from leucs -- that would be good. Leucs are strong and active climbers.
I know this is not the main point of the discussion, but can you elaborate on why frogs depositing tadpoles in the water feature is a bad thing? I would have thought you can pull 'em out and raise them outside easily that way. Obviously for nitrogen buildup frequent water changes should be done.

·
Administrator
7,285 Posts
Many water features have a pump; a physical danger even if covered (tads are not necessarily strong swimmers).

Many water features have at least one spot that a tad can get but a human hand cannot; my own frog killing (it isn't an accident if it should have been avoided; I was negligent, and I don't like to be negligent) water feature was like this.

Water changes in the drainage layer -- I guess. That's a complicated way to design something that doesn't even need to exist; it is quite analogous to using one's toilet as a bathtub in a case where one doesn't even need a bathtub, and just disinfecting it a lot. Generally, complicating a viv over and above the needs/benefits of the captives isn't exactly reasonable (I take this to be axiomatic, though -- it is the KISS principle. I suppose; others have different world views).

Providing deposition sites for tads is a great idea, and it seems there is at least one Tad-Pool in there. I use 1.5oz condiment cups and they work well too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts