Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my local pet store has a 75 gallon tank that a customer brought them. It is really dirty, but the woman said that it holds water fine and it doesnt seem to have any cracks or chips. They are selling it for only $20!!! The only problem is I wouldnt use it for the build I want to do now. Should I still buy it and store it for the future??? It seems like such a good value if cleaning it can make it look real nice.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I would buy it. Won't find a cheaper deal anywhere! Most tanks clean up just fine with a little bleach and elbow grease

·
Registered
599 Posts
buy it for $20, and I'll buy it off of you for $30...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'd buy it ! Clean it up and store for your next project

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK so I bought it! It was actually a 60 gallon measuring 48" x 12" x 24". Is it just me though or is this extra thick glass??????

It was really easy to clean! wasnt actually as dirty as it looked. I did also get the hood and an old big fluoro light. Before I bought it I noticed there was a crack in the corner but i went all the way there so i bought it anyway. Its not chipped or broken just cracked. And there was some black (mold?) something under the corner seal. Does it still look good to use?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Looks like you got a great deal. If you clean with bleach the mold should be killed...if it really bothers you just scrape out the silicone and redo it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doesnt bother me much if its OK. I was told not to use bleach though, that it could be harmful?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK great, thanks guys! Would you say that it is not structurally sound enough to use filled with water due to the crack?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
What I would do is just test it by filling it with water and see if it holds. If it doesn't leak, great. But just to be safe, I would put some sillicone across the crack and you should be fine, though I might be wrong, so don't get mad at me if it breaks.:p

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha ok, if I ever wanna use it for an aquarium ill test it first. It was only $20 so no big deal if it breaks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts