Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need at add a fan into each of my terrariums?
I'm using Exo Terra terrariums, so they have the vents on the front, but I have glass lids. The humidity is around 80% daytime and close to 100% at night. Its a 18x18x18 and housing two Azureus frogs. I don't want too much circulation that might bother the frogs, but I think the plants would do better.
I've lost two plants in the terrarium, one was a fern the other was like a wondering Jew like plant, but the frogs seem to be doing good.

I do open the front 2-3 times a day to mist and feed,so that exchanged some air. How about a fish tank air pump? I could easily slip a hose into the tank and that wouldn't be over powering.

What are your thoughts? Thank you!

Steve

·
Registered
981 Posts
My first tank was an 18x18x18 w/ glass top and found that most of my plants that died weren't receiving proper light and/or I was sprinkling calcium on them when feeding the frogs....never had luck with ferns though. In there now I have a 13w 2.0 bulb and mist distilled water once a day...humidity seems similar to yours, plants are doing great, and I have no fans. hope this info helps :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
My first tank was an 18x18x18 w/ glass top and found that most of my plants that died weren't receiving proper light and/or I was sprinkling calcium on them when feeding the frogs....never had luck with ferns though. In there now I have a 13w 2.0 bulb and mist distilled water once a day...humidity seems similar to yours, plants are doing great, and I have no fans. hope this info helps :)
Out of curiosity, is your 2.0 bulb a reptiglo? Why use a UV bulb when it is over glass? I'm not convinced of the reliability of UV output of the compact fluorescent UV bulbs anyway.

It does have a color temp of 6700K though which I guess is good. You can get much cheaper CFLs rated at that temp at a walmart or something for future reference.

Just curious :)

·
Registered
981 Posts
It was recommended to me to lower temps and help plant growth...it works great on sheet moss... Its cheap enough as it is... walmart is a crowded mess and after gas to get there it about evens out...some tanks glass and others have saran wrap over screens and Ive seen no difference, glass shop told me only certain glasses deprive light of its goodness. I dont only use the 2.0, it just depends on the size and what i have in my tanks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ive recently added two 120mm fans ontop of my 75g tank. About 1/3 of the top is screen, the rest is glass. I have one of the fans blowing into the tank and the other pulling air out. Other than keeping the glass clear I havent noticed much yet, but Ive only had it running for a week or so.

Some plants do need air movement to be healthy.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Those repti glows are probably bs. More than likely they are the same CFL's you find in walmart. I doubt I've been looking hard enough, but I havent found any 6700k CFL's. I had 2700k soft white cfl's, the plants grew nice. I recently upgraded to 5K day light cfl's, and I love the way my vivs look now, but its been 2 weeks, so I guess we will see how the plants grow. WHen it gets hot I will be trying to add a rack in my house. I want to have some T5's, fans, and cfl's to the rack for red lights to view @ night and heat lamps for winter. I want atleast 5 to 6 pdf vivs, 3 tree frog vivs, and I have some turtles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts