Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

A few months ago I offered these beetles to the public and there are some folks here who have purchased them.

I am interested to hear an update and wondering what dart frogs species have you feed them so far. Furthermore, I am interested to find out if anyone have tried feeding them to tumbnails?

Also, these guys could be the same as what people called "drug store beetles". I have never seen these drug store beetles before but their description is very similar.

For those who haven't heard about them before... this beetle is a great additional feeder, it can add more variety to your frogs diet... I have been feeding the adults to azureus, tinctorius and tricolors.

Recent proof indicates that some dart frogs (all?) do infact eat some beetles in the wild... (hmmm... I knew that before the paper came out. 8) ) BTW, not all beetles are good feeders, some are very high in chitin, some are not palatable...

SB

PS: you can get these beetles at ED's fly meat, FlyCulture, Michael Shrom's frog pond and others.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Mine are doing fine. Flour beetles and shorelinite beetles have been outlawed as food at our house. I make to much of a mess when I sift them. Live mosquito larvae have also been banned for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mike,

Try this, put excelsior on top of their medium... they will crawl up to it. When you need to harvest them, just take the excelsior and tap it on top of a container...

The excelsior will prevent the beetles to climb up the container sides and fall on their back, which would eventually kill them.

SB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts