Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this might be of interest.

Shipped some frogs from MA to CO (temps 50s-30s). Outer box was approx. 2 inches thick and inner box about 1inch. Two phase packets included (in liquid form) in outer box, shipped overnight for hold at PO in CO.

Temps below upon arrival:

Phase 22 packs are pretty much solid but not as hard as a fully solid pack.

External box temp at the post office -- 79 F
External box temp at the house --70 F
pulled off styro top and IMMEDIATELY checked at -- 71.8
pulled off inner styro top and IMMEDIATELY checked at 72.3

Good stuff!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Next time take some pictures of how you use and package them. This post is very comforting and timely.

David

Thought this might be of interest.

Shipped some frogs from MA to CO (temps 50s-30s). Outer box was approx. 2 inches thick and inner box about 1inch. Two phase packets included (in liquid form) in outer box, shipped overnight for hold at PO in CO.

Temps below upon arrival:

Phase 22 packs are pretty much solid but not as hard as a fully solid pack.

External box temp at the post office -- 79 F
External box temp at the house --70 F
pulled off styro top and IMMEDIATELY checked at -- 71.8
pulled off inner styro top and IMMEDIATELY checked at 72.3

Good stuff!

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have been using phase packs for over a year now and have had great results. They are great for shipping in cold or hot weather. I put them on top of my lights to liquify them when temps are low, and put them in the fridge or freezer to ship when temps are high. The best part is they are reusable. The only downside is the cost, but then again it is better than losing frogs.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Next time take some pictures of how you use and package them. This post is very comforting and timely.

David
I would be the recipient. I've got pictures for you of how they were packaged. Can't download them right now but will soon. These will be posted ONLY as part of stemcellular's phase 22 tutorial and is not to be taken as any sort of feedback. (my disclaimer since feedback is not allowed here)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
So when you liquify them, they turn into a cooling liquid that absorbs heat? Also, if you're using a sealed Styrofoam cooler box inside a cardboard box with a Phase 22 pack, do you really need two of them (one on each side)?

I would charge a $10 deposit to be refunded upon receiving them back with an option for the buyer to keep them for later use.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Doug...I really appreciate your constant helpful nature on this board. It's very uplifting to say the least.

I would be the recipient. I've got pictures for you of how they were packaged. Can't download them right now but will soon. These will be posted ONLY as part of stemcellular's phase 22 tutorial and is not to be taken as any sort of feedback. (my disclaimer since feedback is not allowed here)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Can't wait to see the pics! I'm curious as to what frogs you are getting :D I am also anxiously awaiting the pics of how they were packaged. I am going to be shipping shortly and this will be VERY helpful since I am more of a visual learner haha.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Doug...I really appreciate your constant helpful nature on this board. It's very uplifting to say the least.
You are quite welcome, dmartin. I've learned so much from so many helpful people here on the board. Anytime I can pass some of that back I'm glad to do it.
Here are the promised pictures...from an unpacking point of view!

I will refrain from any comments about my opinion of the packing job shown as I don't want it to be interpreted as feedback. This thread could educate a lot of people about phase 22.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Awesome packaging! Are those Cryopak's the same thing as Phase 22's? I have some that are flat and rectangular flat plastic pieces that have solid liquid in them. When do you get those Styrofoam cooler boxes with a storage spot for gel packs and such?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
There are Phase 22 panels and Phase 22 gel packs. I've received the gel packs a couple of times now. I've only seen pictures of the panels. I have seen both of them offered on TCP's website Phase 22 Link

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Even scored some Ficus Panama :D great plant!
It is my go to shipping plant. I stay away from using spag moss. I use a ton of ficus and some other cuttings as they are incredibly lightweight and also retrain shape well. Basically, they provide a net which prevents frogs from tossing around. The way I pack, you can toss the container around and the frogs wont really move.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Awesome packaging! Are those Cryopak's the same thing as Phase 22's? I have some that are flat and rectangular flat plastic pieces that have solid liquid in them. When do you get those Styrofoam cooler boxes with a storage spot for gel packs and such?
I prefer the cryopak gel packs myself. Their quite a bit lighter and much easier to position where you want them. I sell them for $1.95, quite a bit cheaper than the hard case ones Phase 22 gel pouch - Alpha Pro Breeders

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
There are Phase 22 panels and Phase 22 gel packs. I've received the gel packs a couple of times now. I've only seen pictures of the panels. I have seen both of them offered on TCP's website Deprecated Browser Error

I've used both and now I go with the panels as the stiffness makes it easy to use place them in the container. If you are using a small shipping box, the panels can even be used as a divider dividing the box.

Since the panels are reusable, I offer a refund if they mail them and the box back to me..

Ed

·
Registered
752 Posts
you said you had packs in the inner and outer box. I only saw the one location. was there another under the frog container?

·
Registered
752 Posts
i'm sorry, no you didn't. i need to read gooder lol. Great post though. I've been trying to get comfortable with the idea so i can start shipping. Where do you purchase your styro boxes?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Have any of guys done any kind of testing with these gel packs? Placed a temp data logger in an insulated box with the gel packs to monitor the temps and then just set the box out in the cold overnight? Or maybe just in your refrigerator overnight?

I'd be curious to know what kind of extreme temps these gel packs will perform well under. I may have to get one of you guys to send me some for testing. It's just the kind of thing I LOVE to waste my time doing :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.