Dendroboard banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Re: Shipping Care Sheet

Looks like a good start, I'm sure some of the more experienced shippers will post their comments to help adjust accordingly.

I'll start things off with the holes in the shipping containers. There was a thread last month where some people mentioned that they prefer not to use holes and listed their reasons:

general-discussion/topic37232.html

·
Registered
4,548 Posts

Corpus Callosum said:
Looks like a good start, I'm sure some of the more experienced shippers will post their comments to help adjust accordingly.

I'll start things off with the holes in the shipping containers. There was a thread last month where some people mentioned that they prefer not to use holes and listed their reasons:

general-discussion/topic37232.html
On that note, it should be made clear that if you use holes, to punch, drill them from the inside, so a sharp protrusion is not formed.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts

Several notes:

A) I don't thin the internal construction of that one box you showed was that bad, rather that the three hour heat packs reach a MUCH higher peak temperature than the 40 hour ones.

B) The "constructed from six cut slabs o' styrofoam' shipper isn't so hot. The two piece molded ones are much better.

C) We should probably mention something about phase change gels.

D) Talking about where to get shipping supplies, like boxes, phase change gels, heat packes, etc... wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts

Even better (and faster) - make holes (ahead of time of course) using a soldering iron.

Quick, small holes with no sharp edges.

I will read the actual sheet more carefully and make comments in a bit. I think we should also post variations on the theme. One thing I did notice is that the pictures show heat packs you can get from Walmart or the like. They reach a higher overall temperature - making it a greater hazard shipping with them. The longer packs from Superior don't reach max temps as high.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Cool, and if anyone has links to the older post with other pics.

I agree this is a great start and maybe one of more of the needed care sheets.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts

Catfur said:
B) The "constructed from six cut slabs o' styrofoam' shipper isn't so hot. The two piece molded ones are much better.

Agree and diagree...

If using a heat pack, using a sealed, molded container, according to my tests, the heat pack stops in a short time. I did one little test where I put an activated 40hr heat pack in a 1 qt container, and it altogether stopped producing heat within one half hour.
Although superior enterprizes claims that the heat pack has all it needs once it is activated, many tests on my kitchen table, in my fridge, in my freezer and in my unheated garage tell me otherwise.
The heat packs need air to work.

For summer (or year round if you use phase change material), as close to a sealed container (i.e.: 2 piece cooler, the better.

Phase change materials are the way to go, however in today's market, only about 2 out of 3 people will go through the trouble of returning (or paying for) the materials, even if offered a rebate and pre-paid return label.
It's such a bummer (to me) I don't really even like talking about it anymore :(

·
Registered
832 Posts

ya'll know alot more on shipping than i do, this is just what ive been doing and it works for me... please let me know what to change and i will or ya'll can change and if need the hosting picture info just let me know :D just trying to help because alot of people dont know anything about shipping :roll:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

What also may be helpful is to give folks an idea of when the switch from heat packs to cold packs (or no packs) should be made. There is a grey area here ... I recently shipped from MD (53F) to FLA (82F) and was torn over this decision.

Chris

·
Registered
3,997 Posts

Cold packs are heat stores not "cold" packs. 53f to 85f use 2-3 cold packs warmed to 77f.
A styro box at 60f in a90f room takes say an hour to hit 90f, a box w/ 3 gel packs would take 3 or more hours to reach 90f.

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts

few quick thoughts

with heat packs I always use 40hr variety. They need O2 to work, so I dont seal the 6 piece boxes [Superior] with tape. I do seal the inner box with the frogs in it though. [double box design for winter shipping]. One pack per 10F needing to raise outside temps to safe range. So a 20F day/night would need 3 packs to get to 50F, 4 for a 10F day/night.

temps from 50F to 85F I use the gel pack alone, the more the better. HEAT is a bigger problem IMO than cool temps.

Tape the lids to the frogs cups, please.

Moist sphagnum and enough plant material inside the cups to prevent shifting of the moss. This often means a fairly stuffed cup for thumbnails, and stiff plants [pathos ect] for larger frogs.

Feed the animals the day prior, no ff's in the shipping cups please.

I tape the heat pack bags [empty] to the box lid, inside the cover, in case someone in shipping goes looking, they can see what is making the heat!

The only label I place on the outside of the box is "Fragile Handle with Care" or "Perishable". Ordered 500 of each on Ebay.

S

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Re: shipping

I thought you did a good job on that Jason. Pics are always good though since many times people are too lazy to read.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Re: shipping

Tim I am going to take pics the next time I ship. I dont want to load the thred with to many pics. Should I just do basic pictures for summer/winter and fall/spring? I guess those seasons seem to be similar. I have noticed many threads about this lately and think it would be good to finally get something up for people who need or want to ship frogs.
J

21 - 40 of 48 Posts