Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just out of curiosity....

I assume shipping a frog in a tank would be and dangerous because of mishandling reasons....but, if you were to ship one within its tank, and it were handled carefully, and the temps remained proper....would the tank environment decrease stress on the frog enough to allow for a longer shipping period?

I know the weight would still make it expensive....

Im just thinking in text here.....

Tommy

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
:) haha.. im sayin if the shipping process wasnt an issue...health wise for the frogs, would it be safe?

I wouldnt trust any co. with a tank, but im sure enough foam could protect the glass fairly well.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Even if the tank walls were well insulated, the interior decor(substrate, plants, etc) would tumble and toss all over, including over the frogs. I would say abandon this idea unless you were the handler.

JBear

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Broken glass, falling wood, rocks, and cork bark. Landslides burying frogs alive. OUTRAGEOUS shipping price. It can cost a hundred plus bucks to ship a 4 pound, 12" box overnight, I hate to think what shipping my heavy 2' x 2' x 2' pumilio viv would cost!
If you shake a 2 or 4 oz deli cup, the frog only moves a couple inches, never reaching a terminal velocity. Put him in a tank and shake it just as hard and you are going to be breaking some bones.
It would take me 20 times the amount of Phase 22 packs to temperature control an entire viv than it does to control a small box. In the winter that can be $25 or $30 worth of phase 22 packs. So to ship your viv we are talking about something like $600 worth of phase paks.
Sorry, but I can think of a lot of reasons this would never work but am having trouble coming up with a single reason it would be worth looking into.

Reactions: jbherpin

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
As Pumilo has stated, what would be the benefit of shipping the entire system?

If you had sold it as an entire set up, it should have been pick up or delivery only. There is no way to ship it.

JBear

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why everyone is missing my point...Completely! ;)

Health wise....would frogs being enclosed in their tank for a few days stress them out to an unhealthy level?...would there be sufficient oxygen?

I've already stated mishandling of the tank as not being an issue...leave that out.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
For example...Say I box a tank with frogs and give it to someone I work with to bring with them on a 3-day business road trip. And I tell them to keep it in the cab with them when they're driving, and just bring it in the hotel room when they're not driving. Then meet this guy when you get this place and give him the box....

or...Or if you packaged them and placed them in a temp controlled moving truck for a few days.

Could being closed in a box in their own tank for a couple of days damage the frogs well being some how? <----Still my question

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
For example...Say I box a tank with frogs and give it to someone I work with to bring with them on a 3-day business road trip. And I tell them to keep it in the cab with them when they're driving, and just bring it in the hotel room when they're not driving. Then meet this guy when you get this place and give him the box....

Could being closed in a box in their own tank for a couple of days damage the frogs well being some how?
If the box was handled very carefully, and all the excess water is drained I would see that as an option for transporting an entire system. However, I would look to use something more shock absorbant like styrofoam coolers rather than a thin box, or even better a double layer of both.

Might I add this whole plan just reeks of shady, lmaolmao!

Bets of luck!

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Sorry, forgot to metion the temp stability when using styrofoam coolers.

JBear

Reactions: erik s

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Reeks of shady?"

I dont know if I find that more offensive than you ignorantly doubting my terribilis struck my finger or not, but I can do without your comments now. Thank you.

Again, this is out of curiosity and have no deals planned.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

or...Or if you packaged them and placed them in a temp controlled moving truck for a few days.

Could being closed in a box in their own tank for a couple of days damage the frogs well being some how? <----Still my question
My frogs all live in a closed system. A few days without me opening the top is risky. As was pointed out to me long ago, plants start to respire gases at night and under very low light levels. Without a proper exchange, one could easily suffocate a group based on lack of fresh air flow. A few days without a bit of fresh air may be a taxing thing when the frogs are received. Something to consider...

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
"Reeks of shady?"

I dont know if I find that more offensive than you ignorantly doubting my terribilis struck my finger or not, but I can do without your comments now. Thank you.

Again, this is out of curiosity and have no deals planned.
I mean no harm, truly. I apologize if I have upset you.

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

Boldface was what I meant by shady. My bad. I didn't think you would take offense to me poking some fun at your ambiguity. Like I said, I meant no harm.

All my best!

JBear

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Why everyone is missing my point...Completely! ;)

Why are you missing the point? Completely! How will putting the tank in a cab keep a chunk of wood from crushing your frogs? Why is moving a viv back and forth from the cab of a truck into a motel room several times a good idea? They are safer in a small deli cup, inside of a well packed box, period. If you don't want the replies and have already made up your mind, I really don't see why you are asking.
In your scenario, if the truck hits a big pothole, or gets in a minor accident, or the box gets dropped, the frogs could die. In my scenario, they will be just fine.
You're saying, what if none of this applies, but it does. If we are just making stuff up and playacting impossible scenarios, then why not just have Scotty beam them over?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, basically ....nobody will answer my questions about oxygen levels and stress factors? Wow! Hope u guys had fun gangin up on me about something I made clear I was aware of in the first post.

Good job...sure showed me

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I have successfully transported vivs intact with the animals in them. A little over a year ago we moved (only 25 miles) and I didn't want to break down all my vivs for the move. I drained all the water out of the FBs and took out anything really heavy. I strapped all the vivs in place and threw blankets over them. I then proceeded to drive super slowly and carefully haha. Looking back it probably wasn't the best choice, but luckily nothing went wrong.
Now to address your core question...I don't think stress or depletion of oxygen would be anything to worry about for a couple of days. If the vivs are well planned then there should be plenty of hides so stress shouldn't be an issue, plus the sides would be blocked which would eliminate visual stressors. As long as there is a little ventilation the frogs be ok, though it would be best to have a way to access the viv and introduce fresh air.
So I think the answer to your hypothetical question is that it could be done...but it really wouldn't be worth the risk of harm or the expense.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Nobody is ganging up on you. We are trying to answer as best as we can. It hard to simply ignore all the laws of the universe. It is either a real question, that we answered, or it's not. I, for one, answered it as if it were a real question. That includes taking the real world into account.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts