Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have come up with a new method for under door ventilation that I would like to share with you all.

The "Sherman vent" preforms the same way as the "Euro vent", it allows air to be drawn in under the doors preventing condensation. However, the Sherman vents vertical screen does not allow water to drip down through it. The "Euro"s horizontal screening seems to act as a target for funneled misting water, causing water to leak out of the tank.

It is also a more elegant design, disappearing under the doors. It does not create the dead space in the front of the tank. (You know, where the spiders and dust live.:))

Photo 1.
Materials Used (Top to Bottom):
(4) scrap pieces of 1/4" glass. Used for spacers.
(2) lengths of 1/4" x 1/4" plastic L-channel. (Other one on very bottom of photo.)
(1) Piece of screen material. I use Stainless Steel.
(1) 3/4" wide length of 1/4" glass.
(6) 1" x 1" pieces of 1/4" glass.
(1) 1" wide length of 1/4" glass.

Photo 2.
I silicone two of the 1"x1" pieces of glass onto the ends of the 1" strip. I also silicone one in the CENTER of the strip. (If you do not get the middle one centered, it will show in the final product. I know.:()

Photo 3.
Stack another set of 1"x1"s on top of the others. NOTE: These 1"x1" pieces are just spacers. They can be substituted for a different material or used in any thickness that your application requires.

Photo 4.
Silicone the 3/4" strip on top of the 1"x1" spacers. Notice that the top edges of the 1" strip, 1"x1" spacers and the 3/4" strip are all aligned. The small scraps of glass are also placed below the assembly, ready for the next step.

Photo 5.
Rotate the assembly 90 degrees toward you so the 3/4" strip now rests on the scrap pieces of glass. (see Photo 7.) Now is a good time to make sure that all the pieces are lined up correctly before the silicone begins to set up. I try to set the 1"x1" spacers just inside the edges of the 1" and 3/4" strips. It is also critical that the 1" and 3/4" strips are lined up. You do not want a crooked vent assembly.

Photo 6.
Cover the top surface of the assembly with silicone and lay the screen material on top of it. Be sure to work the silicone into the mesh material to ensure a good bond. You can now apply the L-channel to the edges of the assembly to protect any rough edges of the screen material.

Photo 7.
Completed vent assembly.

Photo 8.
Vent assembly installed in a tank. (This photo is of a smaller vent that only used one set of 1"x1" spacers.) The front of the tank is to the left. The assembly rests on top of the front glass. The bottom window track sits directly on top of the assembly. The screen material and the 1/4" L-channel are on the interior of the tank.

Thanks for reading!
Chris Sherman

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
It's beautiful, Chris! It is truly a very different vent, not just slightly rehashed version. It's simple and elegant, takes care of the drip and the constantly dirty, hard to clean, traditional Euro design, while giving you back a full 2 1/2" strip of completely wasted space.
I think it's brilliant. Best of all, it is just in time! I was about to start cutting for a few new builds and I'd love to borrow that design!

Can I point something out that I'd like to try?
A "Double Sherman" vent! A very slight modification to your design, would allow you to put one at the top of the doors, too. This would help even more with ventilation by allowing a bit of a cross breeze.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pumilio,

Thank you for your kind words. I thought about this long and hard before the simple solution presented itself.

Feel free to use/adapt as you see fit. Patents are prohibitively expensive, and I really just want to do my part to elevate the collective experience.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I think its an excellent and simple design, and as Pumilio points out, it does save quite a bit of space from the front of the tank. I only see a minor drawback...you lose the very direct up-flow straight across the front glass like the vertical "Euro style". Thats a small price to pay though.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Very interesting design, so I hope you don't take my comments in any negative way. I just wanted to add a little bit of historical info. The original idea for the horizontal vents was to create a cross current and at the same time have a surface that the frogs couldn't push their faces against. Having vertical vents, the frogs could rub their noses against it a little more vigorously and injure themselves.
I realize yours has an overhang, but it may be important to take into account how the frogs can interact with that vent depending on substrate depth, decorations, and plantings.

Congratulations on your design.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Innovative design, but I have some tiny spiders that would LOVE to get into that thin gap and set up shop!
Glue a second screen across the front.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think its an excellent and simple design, and as Pumilio points out, it does save quite a bit of space from the front of the tank. I only see a minor drawback...you lose the very direct up-flow straight across the front glass like the vertical "Euro style". Thats a small price to pay though.
pdfCrazy,
Thank you. I was concerned that there would be a small amount of condensation that stayed on the bottom of the doors also. As it turns out that seems to not be the case. After misting, the glass dries evenly top to bottom within a reasonable amount of time.

Very interesting design, so I hope you don't take my comments in any negative way. I just wanted to add a little bit of historical info. The original idea for the horizontal vents was to create a cross current and at the same time have a surface that the frogs couldn't push their faces against. Having vertical vents, the frogs could rub their noses against it a little more vigorously and injure themselves.
I realize yours has an overhang, but it may be important to take into account how the frogs can interact with that vent depending on substrate depth, decorations, and plantings.

Congratulations on your design.
Manuran,
No worries. History and others thoughts are always welcome. It is certainly worth paying attention to the nose rubbing possibility. I have not seen this, but also have not been looking.
Thank you.

Innovative design, but I have some tiny spiders that would LOVE to get into that thin gap and set up shop!
Dane,
Yes, yes.
Well think of it like this: A spider single-wide trailer is better than a whole spider trailer park. Then go buy yourself some Q-tips! :D

Thanks,
Chris

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
Chris' "Sherman Vents" are a Design of the Year 2012 award winner if I may cast my vote now.

I am not pulling your leg either, although admittedly I know Chris and have 30 vivs with the "Sherman Vent" design in place.

They are WORLD's better then the old style you see others use.

Chris is being modest.

He makes custom VIVs and does a fantastic job!

Personally I told him to patent the design, but I hope the name alone 'sticks', even if people steal the design for themselves [hopefully not commercially, as Chris is doing this himself as "Sherman's Tanks", a small business in New England.

Chuck, I have not had any issues with the design, in fact quite the contrary, I have big issue with the Euro Vent. It leaks, it is easily punctured [Ive done this more then once] and the gap in front is unsightly, collects tons of spiders and dead FF.

With this Sherman design, the slit is vacuumed in one quick second motion, although I have actually NOT had spiders in it, unlike the Euro crap design.

I would encourage people to contact Chris and if anyone can help with web design, small business upstart tips, patents etc, I think this hard working fellow [with a full time day job] could benefit from the help. As could all of us.

I'm impressed. First real innovation Ive been impressed with in quite some time...

Well, sounds over the top, I realize...but...Ive had these in place quite some time and kept quiet about it till now ;);)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Chris' "Sherman Vents" are a Design of the Year 2012 award winner if I may cast my vote now.

Chuck, I have not had any issues with the design, in fact quite the contrary, I have big issue with the Euro Vent. It leaks, it is easily punctured [Ive done this more then once] and the gap in front is unsightly, collects tons of spiders and dead FF.
Hi Shawn,
I was just mentioning the original idea for the horizontal vent. And in my earlier post I mentioned that I realize there is an overhang. If I can also elaborate a little, I mentioned that the only thing to possibly consider is the height of the substrate, as well as objects (leaves, driftwood, etc) right in front of the vent. My thought was this would give them a platform to press against the vent. In Chris' photos as well as yours, the substrate seems very far from the vents and I'm sure you aren't having the problems I mentioned. I just wanted to add that to the conversation so people take that into account.

I agree it is a nice design. Good luck to Chris

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow Shawn, you are making me blush.
Thank you for posting the photos and giving the feedback. I'm glad that you are happy with them and they are working out well.

Chuck, I also would like to thank you again for your input. The historical issues with the vertical screen were unknown to me before you mentioned them and are well worth considering when designing the interior layout.

Chris Sherman
Sherman Tanks

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Very nice. I just built my own 90 gallon euro viv. and did not use this method.. This is very nice though and I may have to experiment with it later.. Also, Shawn.. Can I come work for you? or just be a slave.. I'd love to just go foot by foot admiring that collection.. lol. Hopefully one day ill have the space to have my own collection to admire!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
After implementing the "Sherman Vent" (with Chris' blessing) in a few of my recent builds, I have to say...this system is leaps and bounds beyond the classic "euro" style. From aesthetics to the structural integrity of the enclosure itself, this system is hands-down the way to go when looking for the added benefits of passive air-flow in a solid & streamline package.

Chris...you killed it with this design and I am sure I am not alone when I say, THANK YOU for this contribution to the hobby!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts