Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this "sexed pair" in 2006 (OOTW early 2006). They have been a lovely couple, but a bit shy on the egg laying bit. Over the last 5 years they have been great entertainment and certainly have individual personalities.

Everything changed yesterday when I saw the female, Rene, making some purging or heaving motions. I started filming. After turning the water feature off I could hear a just barely audible call from my female. Well....I stand corrected now and must admit I have two very mature males.

I don't know what to do at this point. I don't want to just ship off one of my babies. Also I am not sure I want to risk introducing a younger female to the mix.

Hmmm...

What do you think? Any suggestions?

My two males video:
Female Azureus Calling | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

My two tanks...Azureus in viv 1 and Leucs in viv 3:
Collection: Poison Dart Frog Vivariums

·
Super Moderator
3,658 Posts
Unless you have noticed any aggression between the two males, you may just be able to add a female to the mix. I haven't tried it myself, but I know several people that have had good success with 2.1 ratios in azureus and some other tincs. I certainly wouldn't recommend it in a 10g, but if the tank is decent size, you could give it a try. Just keep a vigil on the group after the introduction to make sure that there isn't any undue stress on any particular animal. I would definitely advise against keeping more than one female in the enclosure, though.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Azureus tend to reproduce female heavy, so sexed males are hard to find. If you have the room, and you are interested in raising froglets, you might consider getting two females and setting up two 20-gal vivs. Adult females are reasonably plentiful and if you decided to sell one of your males, you could find many eager buyers. However, I wouldn't sell either until you got a female and got eggs from them. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Well, that was rude of them.

I'm having significant challeges getting my blue jeans pumilio to identify themselves. I know there is at least one male in the group of six I have scattered in three different vivs. But, there is no aggression, no eggs, no courting, and no calling. I've even tried playing recorded pumilio calls. It might as well have been a cricket chirping for all the response I got (zero).

Maybe they like their carefree lives without tadpoles to care for, plenty of food, no predators, and ideal environmental conditions.

My tincs did that to me. They made a lovely couple for over a year, until the female started calling. :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestion JimO. I ran that one by my pregnant wife and she just shook her head. Though, over the years she has grown quite attached to our "female" named Rene. We call him Reno now. Wife also says, no we cannot just ship off our pets.

I must admit caring for 9 frogs and their flies, springs, water and brooms, scale keeps me busy enough. Maybe when my son is of age to be interested in the life of frogs I will introduce a female. I think it might be cool for a young kid to watch the process happen.

I do have this pair in an exo-terra 24x18x24. It allows for the 10 gallons per frog rule.

If you have the room, and you are interested in raising froglets, you might consider getting two females and setting up two 20-gal vivs. Adult females are reasonably plentiful and if you decided to sell one of your males, you could find many eager buyers. However, I wouldn't sell either until you got a female and got eggs from them. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Heck, if you aren't in a hurry to care for tadpoles and froglets, then I'd just keep them and enjoy them. I think some folks get pairs of darts and don't give a thought to the time and effort it takes to raise the offspring. Then, when that first clutch of eggs shows up it's exciting. After about the third clutch, it starts to seem too much like work for someone who just wanted a couple of darts to enjoy. That's what happened to me 10 years ago when I got my first azureus froglets. Our kids were all young and I didn't have the time for more than just the couple of frogs I had bought. So, I got out of the hobby for five years. Lesson learned.

Good luck and enjoy.
Thanks for the suggestion JimO. I ran that one by my pregnant wife and she just shook her head. Though, over the years she has grown quite attached to our "female" named Rene. We call him Reno now. Wife also says, no we cannot just ship off our pets.

I must admit caring for 9 frogs and their flies, springs, water and brooms, scale keeps me busy enough. Maybe when my son is of age to be interested in the life of frogs I will introduce a female. I think it might be cool for a young kid to watch the process happen.

I do have this pair in an exo-terra 24x18x24. It allows for the 10 gallons per frog rule.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If i were you i would just buy a mature female to add to the mix. 2.1 ratios are the way to go if you have a big enough tank. You would have twice the chance of getting some tads out of them with two males.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts