Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Dendros! In this discussion I'm aiming at getting folks to share their own experiences with custom glass costs/quotes in hopes that those who are curious (lurkers even) may be able to get a general estimate of how much their dream viv would cost. Granted, we come from different locales (much like the frogs ;)) but certainly there are many of us within relative close proximity, especially our friends in the US.

Here are two quotes I personally received, and frankly they seem quite economical compared to what I was expecting. Dims in L x W x H inches.

For Reference, I am located in Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Annealed Glass 1/4" thick
2 panes: 60 x 30
2 panes: 30 x 24
1 pane: 60 x 24
1 pane: 60 x 20
2 panes: 30 x 4
Edges sanded

Completed footprint: 60 x 24 x 30

Quote 1: 364 CAD (287 USD)
Quote 2: 335 CAD (264 USD)

By comparison, a 36 x 18 x 36 Exo Terra can be purchased here at retail for 350 CAD before tax (284 USD). For a few days extra work and an additional 30 CAD (24 USD) for supplies to silicone, frame and hinges for doors, a viv with nearly double the footprint can be constructed!

Looking forward to your personal experiences!

Best Regards,
Nate

·
Registered
319 Posts
That's useful info, thanks! I'm in Toronto, and once this pandemic madness abates I want to start a custom viv along those dimensional lines. I like the Exo Terras but I need something larger than what they offer. Would you mind sharing the supplier either here or via DM?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Are all measurements in inches? If so that sounds about right for 5 foot tank. I hear a lot of folks on facebook giving quotes for glass in the 140 to 200 dollar range for a 24x18x24 inch vivarium. When making my now defunct plywood build I bought 4 pieces of glass, (2 sides and 2 doors). The dimensions for the sides were 15 x 28 and the doors were 24x26.5 inches. The prices for the sides were 32 dollars each and the doors were 47 dollars each. All pieces were 1/4 annealed glass with polished edges. I got quotes from I think 5 different companies. The most expensive was more then double this cost while the least expensive was a few dollars cheaper (but had a weird system for getting me a quote so I didn't go with them).

Anyway comparing a custom tank to an exo-terra is not entirely fair because 1) your custom tank will be more fruit fly proof (assuming you use small enough mesh) and 2) you can make it any size you want including much bigger, and 3) Chances are the quality level and aesthetics will be better with a custom tank.

·
Registered
266 Posts
That's useful info, thanks! I'm in Toronto, and once this pandemic madness abates I want to start a custom viv along those dimensional lines. I like the Exo Terras but I need something larger than what they offer. Would you mind sharing the supplier either here or via DM?
Glass is becoming pretty pricey right now too - even stock aquariums have seen mass increases in price and availability.

Miracles can probably cut some nice custom glass if needed. They are in Orangeville (aquarium manufacturer).

·
Registered
319 Posts
Glass is becoming pretty pricey right now too - even stock aquariums have seen mass increases in price and availability.

Miracles can probably cut some nice custom glass if needed. They are in Orangeville (aquarium manufacturer).
Yeah, I'm familiar with them. I've done a lot of shopping around; some quotes are on the high side, which I understand for one-offs or designs that require some leg-work on materials, but a surprising number of manufacturers can't seem to be bothered with the conversation. I'm assuming the margins are too low for the trouble, hence my decision to just bite the bullet and build the big ones.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yeah, I'm familiar with them. I've done a lot of shopping around; some quotes are on the high side, which I understand for one-offs or designs that require some leg-work on materials, but a surprising number of manufacturers can't seem to be bothered with the conversation. I'm assuming the margins are too low for the trouble, hence my decision to just bite the bullet and build the big ones.
I think Derek will usually cut glass for you as opposed to build it. Probably not the cheapest option, but quality is typically very good!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are all measurements in inches? If so that sounds about right for 5 foot tank. The most expensive was more then double this cost while the least expensive was a few dollars cheaper (but had a weird system for getting me a quote so I didn't go with them).
That's correct, all dims are in inches. It's crazy to see the variance of different providers. Some online Canadian distributors wanted as much as 300 CAD for a SINGLE 60 x 24 inch sheet of 1/4 annealed glass, sanded edges, (shipping/tax NOT included) :rolleyes:. All in all, I'm definitely excited to get this project rolling in the spring time, and look forward to others experiences!

It's important for me to note that without the sanding the quotes come to 265 and 294 CAD respectively. The sanding is quoted by the inch...and could be another DIY although that's not what I consider enjoyable work. Lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Fahad, glad to be of service! As the distributors would give my direct location away, I will DM you shortly!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think Derek will usually cut glass for you as opposed to build it. Probably not the cheapest option, but quality is typically very good!
He did give me a quote but I imagine he's very busy, since I haven't heard back in a while. They do some good work, though. I had some cubes from them years ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts