Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. I wrote this in mz main thread, but will ask here again for help.
I need some help sexing mz two frogs. I do not think they are male and female, rather same sex. But wich? I know that the pictures are not good and not enough, but I w`ll try to make some better in the future. Any idea?

7AAE2D99-9AA2-47D5-9D67-F21F7DA7C6F5.jpeg 37A0B96D-1228-4C11-BD50-9D77B103E0C1.jpeg

·
Registered
39 Posts
(1) How old are they currently?
(2) Have you heard any calling or seen any aggressive interaction between them?

My guess is that from these photos nobody can give you any confident answers.

·
Registered
A pair of Azureus, two Theloderma Bicolor, 4 Santa Isabels
44 Posts
I would make sure the room they are in is completely silent. The call Tincs make is low pitch and low volume and almost impossible to hear outside the tank unless there is total silence in whatever room they are in.

Based on the larger heart shaped toe pads id guess male, but this is totally speculative. Hearing them call would confirm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
(1) How old are they currently?
(2) Have you heard any calling or seen any aggressive interaction between them?

My guess is that from these photos nobody can give you any confident answers.
1. They are at least 2 years old
2. I haven`t heard a call yet. But I didn`t also notice aggrassion. The are mostly on their own, but sometimes move together. I think as well they have a different sleeping coconut hut, if that matters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would make sure the room they are in is completely silent. The call Tincs make is low pitch and low volume and almost impossible to hear outside the tank unless there is total silence in whatever room they are in.

Based on the larger heart shaped toe pads id guess male, but this is totally speculative. Hearing them call would confirm.
I thought on the picture, where both frogs are seen on the glass can be told if theq are same sex or not. I will try to hear, but so far there was nothing.

·
Registered
A pair of Azureus, two Theloderma Bicolor, 4 Santa Isabels
44 Posts
One of the other ways to sex tincs is by looking at their backbone. Females have more of an arch while males are more streamlined. A picture of the frogs where the backbone is visible would probably be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
2,920 Posts
The glass picture is excellent. I would say both males. I don't know that I have ever actually heard one of my Tincs call. It's very, very quiet.

Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The glass picture is excellent. I would say both males. I don't know that I have ever actually heard one of my Tincs call. It's very, very quiet.

Mark
Thanks Mark, I think so as well. They are very identical and with big toe pads. And because there is no conflict between them, I thought they should be both male.

·
Super Moderator
2,920 Posts
No problem. Just be careful and keep an eye on them. Neither look very fat and the way you will probably know there is conflict is if one or both lose weight. This can happen with two males, too.

Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No problem. Just be careful and keep an eye on them. Neither look very fat and the way you will probably know there is conflict is if one or both lose weight. This can happen with two males, too.

Mark
I will keep an eye on them. I do not feed them too much, as I read somewhere, that often the frogs are overfead and too fat. I don't notice, that anyone eats less or is somehow harassed. But in the last days they do interfere a lot with each other. I am not sure if it is agression, affection or nothing :) And they both sleep in the same coconut hut while in the Terrarium there are 4 provided. Is that typical for two males?

·
Super Moderator
2,920 Posts
You are doing the right thing with the feeding. You are right that most of us have fat frogs :) Just make sure that neither one loses any weight. It depends on what it means that "they interfere with each other". That could be aggression. The fact that they sleep in the same place could mean lots of things. Not a good or bad sign.

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts