Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased five milk frog at Hamburg last October, so they should be old enough to sex, but I'm not sure what to look for. Normally, I'd listen hear them call, and I think I occasionally hear something but they are in the same room as my Dendropsophus ebraccatus, and it's tough sorting the sounds out.

I've read that males can be identified by throat sacks or nuptial pads, but I'm not exactly sure what they look like. So I was wondering if someone has pictures of these features for this species.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
If I remember correctly, Trachycephalus have paired vocal sacs--hold on, let me check Devin's book--gee, can't find anything on sexing...

Okay, check for two darker folded membranes below the corners of the lower jaw.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
If I remember correctly, Trachycephalus have paired vocal sacs--hold on, let me check Devin's book--gee, can't find anything on sexing...

Okay, check for two darker folded membranes below the corners of the lower jaw.
The membranes should be blue, like the color of their flesh under the skin. Also, your males should have nuptual pads on the tops of their thumbs if they are in breeding mode. That can be acheived by keeping them consistently warm with an increase in humidity and a daily misting at lights out. You can't miss their call, sounds like a dog getting sick. Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts