Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought these two R. Imitators in March 2019, at which point they were ~4 months old. So they are roughly 16-17 months at this point.

I have never heard either of them calling.

I have observed them wrestling, so they are living separately under the assumption that they are both males fighting for territory.

Temps are between 69-74, and humidity in the 90s via misting system.

---

Can anyone determine if these are both in fact males?

Is there a way to promote or initiate calling?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/9d4XRf941Vw

·
Registered
580 Posts
Seems like you most likely have two females. If you had two males you would have heard one of them call by now.

In my experience imitator males with up the amount of calling when they are experiencing the presence of new frog in their tank, or are moved into a new tank.

Female to female aggression can happen in imitators with or with out a male present.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
In your second picture, the frog spread eagle on the glass, appears to be a female.
In your third picture, the frog on top appears to be a female.
I cannot see any other frog clearly enough.
Your best shot for sexing thumbs is an overhead shot, from the top down.

You can often promote calling by misting heavier for a week or so. Every now and then, play a recording of imitators calling. Try playing it at different volumns. Try very softly at first, and increase sound a bit if 10 minutes of calling, while you are dead quiet and out of view, doesn't bring results.
Sometimes it takes a while. Sometimes you sex your frogs within minutes of playing calls.

·
Super Moderator
3,348 Posts
Yep, I have seen a 0.2 pair of imis wrestling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts