Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have 2 bakhuis and they are between 10 and 11 months old now. I think i might have a male and female but not positive. would like to see what you guys think. If more pictures would help i can take more pictures. these are just the best side profiles i got.

male??

female??

pictures of both

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Carter,

From that last photo I would say you have two girls (the front toepads on each are very narrow, which is the best way to sex Bakhuis IMO). The smaller one is pretty skinny (which is why I think you might have thought it was a male), which I would suggest is from stress brought on by the other female. This happens very frequently with D. tinctorius.

If you can take some close-ups of the toepads of the two, I could confirm this for you. If they are two females and you leave them together, it is likely eventually the smaller one will stop eating and waste away.

Others might have different opinions. Good luck with them, Richard.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pictures of there front toepads or back? The smaller one has actually thickened up quite a bit in the last 4 days or so thats why i've asked to see what others think cuz i thought i might of had a pair but then the one i thought was a male all of a sudden got much bigger. All try and get some pictures up soon.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Carter,

The smaller one certainly looks better, but I still think they are both female. I have a group of about 10 yearlings that are all doing very well (at the moment). If I don't separate them into pairs, it's likely that all Hell will break loose. Tinctorius just aren't really very tolerant of each other.

Perhaps you can post a trade ad here looking for someone locally that has a male and is looking for a female. The you wouldn't have to deal with shipping.

Good luck, this is one of my favorite morphs! Richard.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Carter,

The smaller one certainly looks better, but I still think they are both female. I have a group of about 10 yearlings that are all doing very well (at the moment). If I don't separate them into pairs, it's likely that all Hell will break loose. Tinctorius just aren't really very tolerant of each other.

Perhaps you can post a trade ad here looking for someone locally that has a male and is looking for a female. The you wouldn't have to deal with shipping.

Good luck, this is one of my favorite morphs! Richard.
Hey thanks a lot Richard! All post an add and see if i can't find a male! I appreciate all the help and info!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Oh! Im excited. I just picked up a pair at Frog Day on Staten Island. Your photos look amazing. I cant wait to see mine get big and "posey". Awesome morph!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks! Yeah i love my bakhuis. They do have a lot of personality when they are out but since my tank is heavily planted i dont see them all the time but enough to where i can watch them. The one female actually comes out every time i open the doors to mist or even check on things in the tank. she sure loves having her picture taken too it seems like. she's will just sit there and not move forever while i take pictures from all angels. its pretty cool. I sometimes want to hold her cuz she seems so comfortable around me. I have some leucs also and tho they are out pretty much all the time they are actually not as comfortable around me cuz when i approach the tank they seem to stop and then go into hiding. have fun with them i know i do! There bellies are super cool too!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts