Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is redundant to any previous posting—I searched but could not find a clear question response.

I acquired a Leuc recently. The previous owners said it was about a year old and were getting selling it because they never saw it in their terrarium. Since it's been with me it has noticeably grown and it is anything but shy. I mention this because I have a suspicion that its development may have been somewhat retarded by lack of food and its age might not be the same as its acquired maturity.

It has not called at all. When I play the sound of a leuc calling it does not always react but other times it does appear to be looking for the source.

I have observed a rappid up and down head bobbing/vibration both when playing a recorded call and when it's just hanging out with no calling being played.

THE QUESTION: Is this head bobbing a precursor to a male calling, how a female reacts, or something both sexes do and has nothing to do with calling?

Many thanks in advance for your insights and opinions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I am a little disappointed that nobody came forward with information to help a newb after a whole month.

The frog in question started calling a few days ago. So without all that much experience or wisdom of others with more experience, I will leave the following observations for those who may follow with the same question.

The head bobbing which looks like a 1 seconds call with no sound or puffing of the throat preceded calling by about a month in my male. now that it is calling i have not observed the aforementioned behavior nor have I seen in any of the females in the vivarium. I am going with the belief that what I was seeing is a good indication a frog is male and just coming into sexual maturity with an audible call imminent.

·
Super Moderator
2,593 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. I would submit the possibility that people didn't know the answer to your question rather than that they were deliberately withholding information. I saw your question and didn't know the answer so I was looking forward to someone else sharing their experience so that I could learn. Turns out that someone was you :) Thanks for broadening our horizons. Next time I will have a better idea of what to look for.

Mark

·
Registered
92 Posts
In a few months I’ll start going crazy trying to figure out what my trio turns into! Thanks for giving me some sings to watch.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought my trio of Leucs last January. It wasn't until 17 or 18 months later that the male first called. It'll happen when they're ready. Patience is key.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts