Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience sexing Bicolors? I have two Bicolors that are around 16-17 months old. I have not heard any calling myself, but I was told by their previous owner that they wittnessed one of them calling. Any help will be appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi,
When my male started calling he was just about 1 year old.What I would do is mist them very heavily and see what happens.My male isn't shy at all when he is calling and I was once face to face with him. He was just on the inside of the glass and didn't quit calling even with me right there in front of him.Hope this helps some.I have heard that females will call but it is a very short call. When my male calls I bet it lasts about 5 seconds or so and you will hear it !!!
Mark W.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Mark thanks for the reply,

Do you happen to know where a recording of the bicolor call is? If not could you describe the call? I mist the tank about twice a day, and I do not hear any calling. I'm coming to the conclusion I have 2 females. I do not see any aggression between the two, as I watch them for hours, but I do not see them act like how my other pairs act. Both their body shapes are very similar. Neither are ultra fat as I see in females of different species.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think if you go to http://www.azdr.com they have a bicolors call there.Are your vittatus old enough and do you have a male?
The bicolors call is very similar to vittatus but vitts have different calls for different situations.You WILL know if you have a male bicolor.When mine gets cranking you can hear it easily over the TV and their tank sits right beside it.
Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mark. I will be listening. No I just got my vittatus last week and they are all froglets still.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hey Jay,

If it helps any, the tank that I had them in was densly planted and had a water feature. When I cuaght the one calling (the one and only time) it was at the edge of the water feature. It was also pretty bold about it, and kept going with me less the four inches away. It was also very quite. A lot softer then my auratus, and I probaly would have never heard it had I not been setting next to the tank.

Sounds like they are doing good for you though, with the exception of calling. How's the azerus?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Jason,

The azureus is doing well! It is an eating machine. I still believe its a male as its toe pads are quite larger than the one I have and its body is much more slimer, although I have not caught it calling yet.

Was the water feature a waterfall? All I have in their tank is a dish of water. I've been playing the bicolor call from AZDR.com for about an hour. The first time I played it, both bicolors reacted and looked around for the call. I have not heard one of them try to call back.

The plants you sent me are doing great as well. The water plants are multiplying like mad in the small pond I have them in, and is spreading onto a log located in the the pond. I really like the bronze color of the brom you gave me, and the other brom looks really cool with its purple bands. The hoya has finally taken root into my tank and the other vine has been growing lots of aerial roots.

How are the auratus? Good I hope. I really miss seeing that camo auratus in the morning.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The auratus are doing good and eating well.

The water feature was a small stream and pool driven be a Whisper 2-5 filter, with a flooded false bottom. So it was a really wet tank.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmmm, I'll work on trying to recreate this. After reading up on their calls, I was under the impression that the calls are supposed to be pretty loud and long. Jason, was the call you witnessed long? As Mark said before, the females are thought to call as well. Does any one know the difference between the two calls, if they have witnessed both?

·
Registered
370 Posts
What I saw came in three short burst, and the throat never became very inflated, at least not nearly as much as when my auratus call.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How old are yours? My male will call and his throat sac does extend. His sides vibrates while he is doing it and it is loud compared to my male Costa Rican's call.
Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts