Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what size should it be obvious what sex they are? My azureus are about 1.5" long from nose to vent, and both of them have small front toepads. I'm trying to figure out if I have two females, or a male that's a late bloomer.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Arklier said:
At what size should it be obvious what sex they are? My azureus are about 1.5" long from nose to vent, and both of them have small front toepads. I'm trying to figure out if I have two females, or a male that's a late bloomer.
Hello. It is easier to tell once they have reached approximately 1 year or older. Post a photo and maybe I or someone else can take a shot at it.

Justin

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
What is the age of the frogs? With the size noted you should be able to see two different body types. Females are larger and fatter while males are smaller, thiner, and body seems to be more flowing. A female tends to be fat and when sitting should have the fat droop down. I hope this helps.
Later and Happy Frogging,
Jason Juchems

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got one of them in October and one in November of last year. Both were about 3/4" froglets at the time and have doubled their size since then. I would guess that they're around 8-9 months now. I will try to get a picture before work tomorrow. By the time I get home, they've usually bedded down for the night.

G

·
0 Posts
not close enough

Does your camera have a macro feature that will allow you to get closer to the subjects? It's a little difficult jusdging pad size/shape in these photos. Nice looking frogs!!

-Bill J.

G

·
0 Posts
From a cursory glance I think they are both males. From my experience Male Azureus often have lighter colored pads before they widen. This may just be a bad refelection from the flash though.

G

·
0 Posts
they both look like males to me. Its hard to tell unless you can get us a closer view of the toepads. It is actually very easy. The female's front toepads will look very similiar to their back toepads.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, would it tell you how old my camera is if I said that was macro mode? I guess I'll need to wait until I can get another camera.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts