Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Can anyone give me any hints or tips on correctly sexing adult auratus? I'd appreciate anything someone can suggest that has helped them.... toe-pad size, shape, etc. Thanks a lot.
Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks you Brian

Thanks a lot Brian. I have nothing to compare them to but I believe I have two females based on what you observed. They both have "hump-backs" and are a full 1 1/2". Should they be bigger as females? Their toe-pads are quite small but as I said, with nothing to compare to perhaps they are large by auratus standards. Thanks for the help! Time to look for a male I suppose.
Kevin

·
Registered
696 Posts
Kevin,
From all Iv'e read and heard (mine are too young to sex) is that females will have a more "Pear-like" shape to them while the males will be more angular. As for the toepads I would guess the same holds true that males will have larger toepads but I'm not certain.
mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bi-lobed front toe discs

Thanks for the information guys. I was just reading an article that states that mature male auratus have bi-lobed front toe discs. Both of mine clearly have those even though the discs aren't large-they are definitely split in the middle sort of like a hoof I would say. That seems so easy in regards to sexing them though. I am suspicious having never heard this before. Would anyone else agree with this statement? Thanks a lot.
Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts