Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This is probably old news but it has never been discussed here so...

Have anyone notice the connection between sex ratio, territory and fightings??

It seems like in a species that produce more females than males, the adult females will fight against each other and vice versa (a species that produce more males than females, the adult males will fight against each other).

Which is consistent with what would happen in nature... more females produced = more competition for males = fightings for territory or mate... (vice versa)

So along the same pattern, when one sees two pumilio males fighting against each other, one could assume that pumilio will produce more male offsprings....

Does anyone have any evidence to support or against that??

SB

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought people would post some evidence that support or against it... oh well here's another example:

Adult tinctorius (and azureus) females will normally fight against each other and they tend to produce more females offsprings.

SB

·
Registered
696 Posts
I mimic'd a study when I was in college on the territoriality and tenacity of the male D. pumilio. It was a very cool experiment that tested visual and audible stimuli to invoke a response. I've been looking for original on the web and if I find it I will post it here. It was this experiment that got me involve with PDFs.
Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts