Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the leuc and was told it is 2 to 3 years old. The azureus should be about the same age. Sorry about the bad pics, I could not get a good picture of them in a ff cup and they wouldn't stay still for me.

Thanks, Curtis

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Hi Curtis,

If I had to guess, it looks like both of the frogs are female. However, if the leuc was a little bit on the chubby side, it could be a male, and the azureus seems a bit on the small side for a 2-3 year old (or you have huge hands).

Below are some links to articles on how to visually sex dart frogs. They include pictures and such, so it might be easier to look at them, then observe the frogs in person.

Josh’s Frogs How-To Guides » Blog Archive » How to Visually Sex Dart Frogs
Josh’s Frogs How-To Guides » Blog Archive » How to Visually Sex Dart Frogs Part II

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Zach, my hands are on the large side but that is the azureus hunkering down, it is normally standing tall and off the ground and looking almost twice that size. The Leuc is as small as the pictures make it look though, I was thinking male because of how small it is but it is kinda on the portly side so I am torn on what it is, I have only had them a couple months, but I have heard no call from either one. I will check out the website but if anybody else has any guesses I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Curtis

·
Registered
981 Posts
Azureus is female and the luec is pretty fat to guess accurately at (for me)...try playing a leuc call from youtube and see what happens

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
That is a very cool video.

He's right, the most reliable way to sex them is to try to get the male to call, If it doesn't call, after several attempts and its body shape continues to look more plump, then it's likely a female.

Play this vid for you leuc it always gets the male calling after about 10 mins of it Video

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies, the leuc has actually fattened up quite a bit since I made this thread. I still haven't heard any calls but I will try the video and see what happens.

Thanks, Curtis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.