Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get mates for my cobalt and azureus. I am thinking the cobalt is a male and the azureus is a female. The azureus is really stout and fat while the cobalt is a bit stockier.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
348 Posts
yup i would agree with you. NICE Cobalt!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure how old they are. Both are about 1-1.25". The cobalt came from Josh's frogs and they other guy came from a local shop. They have grown quick!

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Those look to be good guesses. Sometimes female cobalts can have pretty big toepads, but I would still think this is a male.

Good luck with them, Richard.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Males tend to call 10-12 months OOTW. I'm going to guess that is a probable male, but the door is still wide open for chances that it is a female. How old is it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with you on the azureus...its a female. The cobalt is a little more difficult. I have multiple females whose toe pads are much larger and the another thing I look at is shape. I am leaning male but thats tough because you are not scared to feed them ;)

Chris

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I agree as well. That female azureus is either very chubby or full of eggs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
cleanline what do u look for in the shape of cobalt to tell the sex. i have one i am trying to sex but the toe pads r inbetween what i have seen from male and female on the pics everyone has posted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
coraltastic,

Most of the times the females tend to have smaller toe pads, be a little longer in length, and have a stomach that hangs lower (not always wider). I have my fair share of tincs...10 pair...but I still would not consider myself an expert. I know my feeding habits and I know how they fill out under my care...but it can be tough going off a couple pictures of frogs in others' care.

chris

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm thinking the azureus is just a little fat. She seems a little small for eggs, compared to some adults I've seen at shows that I swear had to have gone 2.5". She's a great eater but the cobalt is a bit shy and won't eat until I'm out of sight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts