Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just finished tinkering with my 50g azureus setup. After watching how they used their space for almost a year, I thought they needed more dimension in their setup with more places to climb and hide. The new arrangement also gives more open land space which I have covered with java moss and leaf litter.

Old Setup

New Setup

·
Registered
53 Posts
I love it! Makes me want to go out and buy the stuff to make it today, if i had the money...

let me ask one thing. How much of a hassle is it to keep your water area up? I want to do a vivarium with a water area but dont want it to be major maintinance like my firebelly toads.

aj

G

·
0 Posts
Very nice! Your tank already looked great, but now it looks great and has more usable area for the frogs. You said it's 50 gallon, but what are the dimensions? It looks taller than a standard 50g and not as long. I like it. Your plants look healthy too, what kind of light are you using? I agree with racer - I want to go out and buy all the stuff to do one for myself today :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dimensions are 18W 30L 24H, which I guess comes to about 57g. I built the tank myself using an old 20g frame (removed the frame and cut it width wise to stretch it out to 18") and 1/4" glass. In the end the frogs get as much vertical space as floor space, but I find they take good advantage of both.

Lighting: I recently switched to AHS 55W 6500K which is excellent and has brought out the red in some plants. All of my epiphytes are actually pinched from those tacky “air gardens” they sell at grocery stores.

Maintaining the water feature: I just do regular water changes with a siphon every few months. The setup is actually a “modified” false bottom, with false bottom islands on the left and towards the back. The islands are built with PVC and coroplast ( http://www.coroplast.com/product.htm ) which is cheep and an excellent structural building material for vivariums.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Very nice... I have ben holding back on building a very large tank, but these picture really make me want to start one.

Will said:
The dimensions are 18W 30L 24H, which I guess comes to about 57g. I built the tank myself using an old 20g frame (removed the frame and cut it width wise to stretch it out to 18") and 1/4" glass. In the end the frogs get as much vertical space as floor space, but I find they take good advantage of both.

Lighting: I recently switched to AHS 55W 6500K which is excellent and has brought out the red in some plants. All of my epiphytes are actually pinched from those tacky “air gardens” they sell at grocery stores.

Maintaining the water feature: I just do regular water changes with a siphon every few months. The setup is actually a “modified” false bottom, with false bottom islands on the left and towards the back. The islands are built with PVC and coroplast ( http://www.coroplast.com/product.htm ) which is cheep and an excellent structural building material for vivariums.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
That's about the perfect sized tank for some of my phyllomedusas and reeds. I enjoy making tanks as well. I may try one out of acrylic that size, but front opening and see what I think. Tired of all these different sized tanks in my room, makes it look unorderly.

G

·
0 Posts
Did you plant the ficus at the top and let it spread down, thats what it looks like. I want to put ficus in my tank but dont know if i should plant it at the top or bottom. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn’t take any pictures when I was initially making this tank, but I took a few when I had it dismantled. Here is a shot which exposes some of the false bottom island and pump canister. The pump is in a tupperware container for easy access and maintenance if needed.

There is some lilaeopsis grass in the tank, but what you are seeing is just java moss.

The ficus is planted in the bottom, but has since spread and rooted everywhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts