Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
i trying to set up a vivarium on a 225(canadian) dollar bugget (excluding the frogs need suggestion on spices). i would like a very low matnance setup th must include a small pool of water feed by a small river or preferably a waterfall. the tank fill be a 30 gallon tall. i have no idea whether to use egg crate or gravel, again looking for suggestions(easy mantnence). I would like to have a coco fiber substrate, a few plants, vines, mosses and a nice back ground.

gillie

·
Registered
545 Posts
I would go w/ egg crate and put PVC spacers under it to support it. The false bottom setup is much easier to clean then gravel simply because of all the weight gravel adds. Buy the pumps from PetSmart (or wherever), they should be about $12 American. You will probably want a background, cork bark is good for that or I have used Great Foam (expanding foam or insulating foam) for this and it works well too. As for plants, DO NOT GET POTHOS! It's not really that bad but it will overtake your vivarium and the root system can kill more fragile plants (I had this happen to one of my favorite orchids a while back :(). For your first darts go with either Leucs or pretty much anything from the Tinc family. I personally like Leucs better because of their call (can be heard at http://www.azdr.com) and they're bolder. You can also keep them in a colony with little worry about fights.

Good luck with your new tank and make sure you always have flies on hand.

Edit: I like using orchid bark as a substrate because it drains well and is very durable.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I'd say if your a hands on person for backround do a great stuff backround. Directions can be found on blackjungles.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think pothos is a fine plant for the vivarium if you don't mind pruning it a bit. And I couldn't possibly disagree *more* with Everett about the leucs being bolder than Tincs. My leucs run at the sight of me even though they have been treated similiar to my tincs. My tincs on the other hand have never shied away from hand even after having been moved from tank to tank. The leucs are spend a lot of the time *hiding* the tincs are always out and about. The only advantage of the leucs is their call (if you see it as an advantage, you might not at 3am) and the fact they are easier to keep in groups (though many people keep groups of tincs with out incident). Personally I like the way tincs look/act much better than the leucs but that is a matter of personal opinion.

-Tad

·
Registered
545 Posts
I don't mean to be corrective but I've been very frustrated at website links when I'm one letter off. http://www.blackjungle.com again don't take it personally.

Tad - I had a couple new river tincs about a year ago and they were always hiding. The leucs I have now I have no trouble finding, keep in mind every frog is going to be different. What I meant about the pothos was the root system. My old tank was very easy to clean because all I had to do was grab the leaves of the pothos and all of the dirt and stuff would come up :D. I'm not suggesting that Tincs are a bad choice I just prefer leucs like Tad said, matter of personal opinion. Just do your research and talk with people before you buy anything.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imitator are awesome frogs as well as Tincs (I don't like auratus that much but go for it they're great beginers). The thing about the imitators is not weither you'll be able to keep them alive, it's weither you're going to be able to see them a lot and have the food for them. Tincs are awesome frogs (but like I said earlier, I prefer leucs). If you go with tincs you pretty much can't go wrong with whatever color choice you choose, and you probably have enough space where they won't argue.

·
Registered
428 Posts
leafs,

I'd hold off on the imitators until you're proven with some of the larger frogs. Tincs are a great choice and are very bold, Leucs are beautiful and their calling is a real plus, Auratus are, also, very nice, inexpensive and come in a variety of colors.

You'll catch the bug quick enough, just take it one step at a time.

Just my $0.02
Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mmmm i see its just that i want to get a pair of cobalts for the ground and some thumbnails for the tops of the plants because i like the idea of a tree top vivarium. also i wont have much ground space because i am trying to put in a waterfall and a pond

1 - 11 of 11 Posts