Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am really new to keeping dart frogs and I have a few questions.

1) Im using live plants and I already have the clay balls and some mesh to seperate from the soil (substrate) but I have no idea what so ever of what my substrate should be consisted of.

2) Im using an 18 x 18 x 18 for two and im almost positive thats enough space. Right?

3)I have a medium zoo med waterfall, a very tiny and shallow water dish, a repti fogger, special lights for growing plants indoors, the clay and the mesh, and a little hideaway for some added privacy. Did I do something wrong? Am I missing something? Any recommendations?

I love animals, and I really dont want anything to happen to the frogs so I am asking for as much help as possible.
Also I don't actually own any frogs yet (I'm trying to complete the vivarium first) and i will get some flightless fruitflies on the same day i visit the breeder to pick up the frogs (probably leucomelas).

I appreciate any help and advice
Thank You!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hi I am really new to keeping dart frogs and I have a few questions.

1) Im using live plants and I already have the clay balls and some mesh to seperate from the soil (substrate) but I have no idea what so ever of what my substrate should be consisted of.

2) Im using an 18 x 18 x 18 for two and im almost positive thats enough space. Right?

3)I have a medium zoo med waterfall, a very tiny and shallow water dish, a repti fogger, special lights for growing plants indoors, the clay and the mesh, and a little hideaway for some added privacy. Did I do something wrong? Am I missing something? Any recommendations?

I love animals, and I really dont want anything to happen to the frogs so I am asking for as much help as possible.
Also I don't actually own any frogs yet (I'm trying to complete the vivarium first) and i will get some flightless fruitflies on the same day i visit the breeder to pick up the frogs (probably leucomelas).

I appreciate any help and advice
Thank You!
No offence, but you've been sucked into the marketing gimmicks. The waterfall being one. It takes up WAY to much space. Take it out! A medium waterfall is almost as big as your entire tank....

Use the ABG mix as your substrate. Best substrate for plant growth and drainage. i like to feed melos as they produce better than hydei.
Also the water dish in unnecessary.

·
Registered
36 Posts
ABG mix is generally regarded as one of the best substrates, I believe. You should be able to order some (or something similar), from most online dart frog stores (just check out the sponsors section).

Also, I'd recommend buying your fruit flies in advance of your frogs, in order to practice culturing them before you actually need them. That way, if a culture crashes, you won't be scrambling to find food for your frogs. I'm just starting out as well, and am already culturing fruit flies without owning a frog.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
You can buy a good substrate from many of our sponsors Or you could make your own out of various items. I make mine from coco coir, dried leaves, peat moss, Turface (or baked kitty litter (only certain brands)) and tree fern fiber. Its usually just easier to buy it as a whole and get some other stuff from the same vendor (food, frogs, plants)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for all Your help! and as far as the waterwall goes the dimensions listed give you the farthest points of each direction so it takes up less than a quarter of the cage. no as far as the water dish... i figured it was pointless because ive never seen another vivarium with one, however the local zoo (san diego zoo) does hav a few with tons of water which i always thought was strange.

I was told by many people to use that mix so you deffinitly made it clear to get that haha.

but i had one more question depending on the type of FF I get, how much should I feed them?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Baby: 5-10 Hydei 20-30 Melonogaster
Juvenile: 8-12 Hydei 30-40 Melonogaster
Sub Adult: 20-30 Hydei 50-60 Melonogaster
Adult: 40+ Hydei 70+ Melonogaster

I personally like melonogaster, they're easiest to have reproduce IME, but for bigger frogs like terribilis, i'd feed hydei or crickets.

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
Baby: 5-10 Hydei 20-30 Melonogaster
Juvenile: 8-12 Hydei 30-40 Melonogaster
Sub Adult: 20-30 Hydei 50-60 Melonogaster
Adult: 40+ Hydei 70+ Melonogaster

I personally like melonogaster, they're easiest to have reproduce IME, but for bigger frogs like terribilis, i'd feed hydei or crickets.
Where you did you get those absolute values? I'm interested in seeing where you got the data on those numbers particularly the kcal/kg on the hydei.
Just as a note, you are presenting facts as if you have them correct....

Ed

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
To the OP, I would also suggest that you check out clay substrates.

Ed

·
Registered
64 Posts
Where you did you get those absolute values? I'm interested in seeing where you got the data on those numbers particularly the kcal/kg on the hydei.
Just as a note, you are presenting facts as if you have them correct....

Ed
I think those are fair values, if not a little high. Where did he say they were absolute? No where did he say they are facts, that might have been your own interpretation. I think it was probably more a suggested amount. Maybe instead of belittling, try adding your own suggestions?

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
I think those are fair values, if not a little high. Where did he say they were absolute? No where did he say they are facts, that might have been your own interpretation. I think it was probably more a suggested amount. Maybe instead of belittling, try adding your own suggestions?

There are no analysis on the caloric ratios of hydei that I have seen... so to supply a direct comparision that this many hydei is the equivalent to x melanogaster is totally inappropriate...

As for the totals on melanogaster, even if they were based on the one breakdown I provided on this site, those numbers as the frogs grow do not match the literature... If he is going to state incorrect facts then he has to be able to deal with challenges on correctness.

I still want to know where he got the information and how he interpreted it.

So do you have information that allows you to indicate that those are correct comparisions of hydei to melanogaster? How many species of dendrobatids can the metamorphs take hydei right out of the water?
What is the kcal/kg value for hydei?

This isn't the first time he has been misquoting or misinterpreting stuff on this board.. through several different identities...

Ed

Reactions: Varno

·
Registered
701 Posts
There are no analysis on the caloric ratios of hydei that I have seen... so to supply a direct comparision that this many hydei is the equivalent to x melanogaster is totally inappropriate...

As for the totals on melanogaster, even if they were based on the one breakdown I provided on this site, those numbers as the frogs grow do not match the literature... If he is going to state incorrect facts then he has to be able to deal with challenges on correctness.

I still want to know where he got the information and how he interpreted it.

So do you have information that allows you to indicate that those are correct comparisions of hydei to melanogaster? How many species of dendrobatids can the metamorphs take hydei right out of the water?
What is the kcal/kg value for hydei?

This isn't the first time he has been misquoting or misinterpreting stuff on this board.. through several different identities...

Ed
Ed, I don't see why you have to be so enraged over it. Those facts are ones i've taken, and aren't exact, neither did I say they were. I've done research, concluding hydei should be fed less than melonogaster, and those numbers are ones that I've taken from my experience and somewhat multiplied. As some of the bigger numbers, such as what I said for an adult, is most likely wrong.

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
Ed, I don't see why you have to be so enraged over it. Those facts are ones i've taken, and aren't exact, neither did I say they were. I've done research, concluding hydei should be fed less than melonogaster, and those numbers are ones that I've taken from my experience and somewhat multiplied. As some of the bigger numbers, such as what I said for an adult, is most likely wrong.
And what is your experience? How does your experience contradict the hard numbers worked out based on metabolic rates?

As for why it ticks me off, it is because with little or no research and/or understanding you are quite willing to share information that has the potential to seriously harm an animal by readily stating it in a manner to indicate that you have the correct information. Even if someone points you to the correct information, you don't bother to really read over what is needed.. as an example, your comments on paprika totally ignoring that it has been spelled out several times that the red carotenoids in the paprika are poorly absorbed if they are absorbed at all, which renders it a poor choice for sustaining or changing red pigmentation.. And this was after you couldn't be bothered to read the provided links.

Ed

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
i know it has been mentioned already in this thread, but get your flies now and start culturing, it could take you several weeks to get the hang of it or what will work for you. on a side note just because someone has a method of FF culturing that works for them, and you try it and it does just the opposite result. that is why you need to start now and find out what works for you. i have several sources to get FF's from in a crunch. since you live in San Diego i'm sure there are several avenues to get more FF's if you have production problems. get to know your local froggers as they will most likely be the ones to get FF in a time of need. one of the down falls of getting FF's shipped is that they get tossed around flipped up, down, up and down and this could have very harsh effects on the culture overall numbers because the boxes get tossed around like they are going out of style. that is why i am stressing the importance of getting everything locally when it comes to the FF's. shipping can be the downfall to a succesful culture.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts

Ed
Heeeere's Johny!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Maybe I am missing some kind of bad-blood between the two of you since I have been away from the forum for a while now. Ed, as I remember from earlier encounters, you are very much informed. This is a good thing. My point is this, to facilitate a working community in which those are not in the know, strive to be in the know, why don't you just post the correct information and explain where you acquired it (research, experience, here-say, etc). If he/she doesn't take it for what its worth, than this is indicative of their own character not yours. The way you handle this makes you look the jerk, not the other way around. Don't be upset with me, but I think some on here take things a little overboard in their dominance assertion. Teach rather than beat. :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Maybe I am missing some kind of bad-blood between the two of you since I have been away from the forum for a while now. Ed, as I remember from earlier encounters, you are very much informed. This is a good thing. My point is this, to facilitate a working community in which those are not in the know, strive to be in the know, why don't you just post the correct information and explain where you acquired it (research, experience, here-say, etc). If he/she doesn't take it for what its worth, than this is indicative of their own character not yours. The way you handle this makes you look the jerk, not the other way around. Don't be upset with me, but I think some on here take things a little overboard in their dominance assertion. Teach rather than beat. :)
Search posts by johnyrocks and you will have your answer.

·
Registered
19,312 Posts

The gist I'm taking from this post is that others don't have to demonstrate where they get thier information but I do... sorry, I'm not going with the flow here. He can either cough up the correct information or shut up.. it isn't like it is hard to find on the forum since I've written it a number of times. I do find it interesting that we now have had two additional people from Colorado defending him...

He has been handed the correct information on a number of things in more than one of his incarnations.. and even then either ignores it and eventually gets in too deep and kills off his character to create a new one...

Ed

Reactions: Neontra

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Heeeere's Johny!

dude, you gotta believe he's still rambling and wildly posting craziness to get an uproar out most of us on hear. been quiet but i guess i haven't been paying attention to the aliases he's using.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Yes, I'm curious how many of the people from Colorado supporting him are just his alias'.
I'm just going to call him out. Neontra, you treat information given to you, the exact same way that Johnyrocks did. You are Johnyrocks, you just quit calling people names.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The gist I'm taking from this post is that others don't have to demonstrate where they get thier information but I do... sorry, I'm not going with the flow here. He can either cough up the correct information or shut up.. it isn't like it is hard to find on the forum since I've written it a number of times. I do find it interesting that we now have had two additional people from Colorado defending him...

He has been handed the correct information on a number of things in more than one of his incarnations.. and even then either ignores it and eventually gets in too deep and kills off his character to create a new one...

Ed
No I would say Ed, to make sure no one gets bad information, post your own. I don't believe this was his thread, he was merely stating what he thought he knew. Be it right or wrong.

//The gist I'm taking from this post is that others don't have to demonstrate where they get their information but I do//

Once again, no. I think people would probably just accept whatever you decide to tell them and you don't have to waste time raging on someone who most likely wont change. Just a suggestion. And yes I am from Colorado. No I am not an alias of Neontra. I just don't think belittling people is conducive to learning, something you advocate yet rarely do without ego massage.

Collin

1 - 20 of 28 Posts