Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've been doing some research on the forums regarding fan setups. I'm looking to get this fan controller:

Amazon.com: Lamptron FC4 Fan Speed Controller 20W x 4 channel Black: Electronics

I'm also looking to get this fan:

Delta 40mm x 28mm Fan (FFB0412VHN-F00) - FrozenCPU.com

There are a few questions I have about this. But let me dispense with what I know so we are all on the same page. First, I know I have to get 3-pin connectors on the fan I order because that's how they connect to the controller. Second, I know what I'm going to do in order to mount this thing inside my tank. I saw a few pictures so I have a pretty good idea.

My question, however, is how on earth do I power this thing? The controller has a 4-pin molex connector, which is fine, except that I'm not putting this into a computer :(. Is there something to convert the molex to an AC adapter? And which power supply is good? I know literally nothing about electricity, so I will be doing tons of research on basic theory before I go diving into this and potentially electrocuting myself, but for right now, I'd like a recommendation just so I can figure out pricing and stuff.

Thanks!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Some people cut the molex off and hardwire it into an a power converter. This method can be very cheap. Newegg offers a molex to wall adapter you can get for it as well. It has up to 2A max output.
The molex adapter is exactly what I have.. but honestly. Any 12v DC adapter you have (find ones laying around your house you don't use I found a bunch) cut the tip off.. split the wires. the one w/ the white line is usually positive. then either hard wire it to your fan controller or splice on a molex plug. Yellow is 12v black is ground red is 5+ just FYI .

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
The molex adapter is exactly what I have.. but honestly. Any 12v DC adapter you have (find ones laying around your house you don't use I found a bunch) cut the tip off.. split the wires. the one w/ the white line is usually positive. then either hard wire it to your fan controller or splice on a molex plug. Yellow is 12v black is ground red is 5+ just FYI .
its not that simple, particularly with the fans the op is looking at. each wall wart (power supply/ power converter) has a different set of electrical ratings. you NEED to look at amperage rating and ensure that the wall wart your using has enough amperage to power the fan (plus a minimum of 10% more). so the fan the op listed needs to have at least 0.27A (or 270mA) of power going out of it. the voltage is less important and will simply spin the fan faster or slower depending on the volts. you will only get the full power of the fan at its maximum voltage. dont overload the voltage though or your spin the fan too quickly and burn it out. (stay away from ones operating at above 12-13V)

james

·
Registered
52 Posts
definitely not necessary. Also, when wiring them, if you connect the opposite wires together the fan will just spin backwards (from all I've read), so no harm done.
Depending on weather the fan is AC or DC. AC fans can have the polarity reversed, Ie: red-black. Where as DC fans can not be reversed. Ie: red-red, black-black

1 - 7 of 7 Posts