Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals,

Around a year ago I started researching and began building a vivarium with the intention of having PDFs in my home. A few months later I was mid divorce and back burnered the desire until last fall. After having the tank completed and watching it grow for the last eight months or so I still haven't added any frogs to the tank but I have realized that those plants and that aquarium got me through alot of dark times in a horrible part of my life.

Presently I am standing on the verge of owning a 300 gallon tank and stand complete with a high powered lighting setup for the cost of the labor and gas. Even though I have not yet added animals other than insects to my first vivarium I am thinking about building thieving tank.

From the perspective of tank building and design I know that water features exist solely for the pleasure of us humas and do nothing for the frogs, but I want one. Also with the thirty inches of height I am considering adding a living bonsai or two to the tank. How big of a construction step will I be taking moving from experience with a 20l versus a 300 gallon tank complete with waterfall, river and pond?

Best,

Paul

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Paul,

Welcome :) You have found THE place for all the information you will need to construct your viv. We share a lot in common but for now I'll stick to the hobby part ;) From my experience with building I actually found it easier the bigger I went ( biggest was a 120 gal ). I just finished a 65 gal Exo build and Incorporating a drip wall, waterfall and pond area were no problem. It just gets more expensive !

If you provide pics with details on what you plan I'm sure you will get lots of great feedback. The search function will become your best friend and almost everything you want to ask has been asked before.

Good luck keep your head up and enjoy the hobby :D

·
Registered
483 Posts
Welcome Paul!

I would practice with a 20 gallon and set it up completely so you can work out all the unexpected kinks with the smaller tank that isn't going to be your display tank. You could even make a smaller tank your sized down to scale replica of your larger tank so you know exactly what you want and the logistics of it.

The reason I suggest doing a practice run is because I have already torn apart and redone the first viv I did because I was not satisfied.

Besides, you are going to need another tank once you realize you're addicted!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys,

My small tank has been operational for eight months. Complete with light timer and regular manual misting. Even when I moved and the poor thing sat for six weeks in a window without having anyone look at it it made it through and maintained 80+ humidity.

I will be building this three hundred gallon tank. For the cost of the pump, false bottom, and substrate I can get it started with a running river. Since the bottom is damaged I will either replace it or fix it enough to make a small pond in the good end and a waterfall pump and a drain down to a lower level water filtration system. I will probably try my hand at natural filtration using pond plants and small fish below instead of mechanical or chemical filtration.

If bigger is easier I should have a lot of fun. I am not going to rush the project. I am guessing gathering materials till the winter and then starting construction over the cold season. But we will see. I may need to assure my living situation before I install a large tank. Thanks for all the advice. I will be looking for a few things between now and then but I will be watching for any more advice.

Best,

Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts