Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Call me crazy..One thing I have noticed with my azureus clutches is from time to time when I have two eggs side by side, they will start to develop, one of the tads will grow faster than the other and after time the smaller one will die before it develops into a tad!! Is there such a thing as "egg aggression"??!! All I have raised thru the years is the azureus, so all my personal experence with raising darts is limited to them...SOOO is separating eggs in the petri dish something that is "old hat???? Or something that shouldn't be messed with?

·
Registered
684 Posts
I usually do not separate eggs, If the tad dies before it comes out of the egg i figure that if it was too weak to break from the egg it might not live as well as others. But some steps that you may or may not know of to prevent molding of eggs, is methane blue, tad tea, add a leaf in the petri dish. Things like that have help my egg development.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have no idea about the release of pheromones or chemicals of eggs, but I wouldn't be surprised if developing eggs release inhibitors to their environment. Basically a competition before they even hatch so the most developed and strongest survive and don't have to compete for food with other tads/froglets.

Like I said, no idea if this actually happens, but it wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
I have no idea about the release of pheromones or chemicals of eggs, but I wouldn't be surprised if developing eggs release inhibitors to their environment. Basically a competition before they even hatch so the most developed and strongest survive and don't have to compete for food with other tads/froglets.

Like I said, no idea if this actually happens, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Actually I would be very surprised... Egg production is something that is very energetically expensive for the female frog and if there is competition between eggs to see which one hatches, then this is a direct impact on the female as it reduces the chance future recruitment as well as being a significant impact on the females. If that was the case, it would put pressure on the female (and male) to not deposit eggs in clutches but in singly or in pairs...
This is different than the tadpole predating on each other due to typically low protein sources in the deposition sites....

Ed

Reactions: leuc11
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.