Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Ranitomeya
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, has anyone used seed pods, either silicon lined or species that happen to hold water, as egg/tadpole deposition sites? Either in addition to or in lieu of film canisters? I poked around here and didn’t see too much written about this and am curious as I am adding more clusters of pods to my terrariums. Thanks

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I use seed pods in my tanks to supplement film canisters. None of my frogs have used the seed pods to lay eggs in though, only film canisters and bromeliads.

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
@[email protected], what species are you keeping? That might make a difference.

None of the Ranitomeya that I keep have apparently used any seed pods for eggs or tads, though the adults and froglets hang out in them a lot, so that in itself is a good reason to use them.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Some of my geckos have occasionally laid eggs in Cariniana legalis seed pods but actually even geckos seem to much prefer bromeliad leaf axils. Cariniana legalis pods are probably the closest approximation of a film canister too but in my experience they break down quite quickly so I doubt they would last long filled with water.

·
Registered
Ranitomeya
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the experience and feedback folks. SM I have Lamasi “orange” and Fantastoca varadero. Honestly this inquiry is just mostly curiosity more then anything. I have recently introduced clusters of seed pods, including notably bell cups which hold water for a little more time compared to others. The varadero seem to hang out inside the bell cup pods. Then I noticed frogdaddy sells them silicon lined. So I was thinking about building some more arboreal clusters and silicon lining some of them again out of curiosity to see if they hang out in there a lot if water is present. I personally like the aesthetics a lot, and the frogs seems to enjoy the new clusters so figured it could be win win to add more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts