Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help identifying these.
I stopped in my local feed store and asked if they had any feed infested with bugs. Their black eyed peas were completely infested, I got about 3 gallons for $6.00 I made sure they don't use any pesticides around their feed.
I tried some with some of my tincs, but they mostly did the tongue dragging thing like they taste disgusting.
So I'm trying to figure out what these guys are and if they can be cultured like rice flour beetles and feed out the larvae.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm happy you saw this Ed. Can Red flour beetles be raised the same way as confused flour beetles? I can't find any larvae, and the beetles are within the beans, just like bean beetles; which I already have tons.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Yep, you can raise them the same way. Just make sure to dispose of the beans appropriately to keep them from contaminating foods in your house...

Ed

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Strange; I hadn't heard that flour beetles will hatch and bore into beans. I thought they only lived in the dust.

I also found these tiny guys in with the beans. I think they are psocids.

Crawling on the top edge of a toilet paper tube.

Microscope image

Any idea?

·
Registered
137 Posts
THose second bugs you found look like bugs i just seen on the show Infested on Animal Planet they were bird mites. Though i am not expert only my opinion.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
The second invertebrate are psocids aka booklice.

Ed

·
Registered
16 Posts
You bought the black eye peas at a feed store? I can't find a source of BEP except at the grocery stores in one lb packages. What state do you live in? I live in Minnesota.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, I was beginning to think my beetles were all too old to breed or maybe were all males, cause I read that the females die younger than the males. Something like 4 months or so, can't remember exactly now. Also, I never saw any beetle sex going on out of all those beetles. There was a very strong quinone smell as well. Which I believe inhibits eggs from developing.
Anyway, I finally started seeing some larvae about 10 days ago in some of the cultures I made up with fresh whole wheat flour and about 10% brewers yeast.
Here is the result from sifting just a few spoonfulls today. Some of the instars have already begun to pupate. I'm going to try to refrigerate a small amount and see if they will last a bit longer, like meal worms.

Sifter and 16oz culture

Sifted flour beetle larvae from one tablespoon

Clean sifted beatle larvae ready to feed

Feeding out in pill bottle lid

Another pill bottle is partially buried in the substrate between the Patricia. This has a spoonful of FF media and mags I was trying out for another feeding option.
Guess they'll have to go on a diet for a while now, after these trials.:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts