Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some type of sealer to seal my newly built frog room shelves, I was thinking thompsons water sealer, because I think it will hold up against possible water spill, or leaky tanks, and other thing like high humidity on the room. What do you guys suggest? If it is possible I would like to be able to see the grain of the wood, because the wood has some real nice grain to it.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
What type of wood? Be careful treating standard indoor wood, as it will warp when you treat it. Unless you expected it to get really wet a simple stain should do.

geckguy said:
I need some type of sealer to seal my newly built frog room shelves, I was thinking thompsons water sealer, because I think it will hold up against possible water spill, or leaky tanks, and other thing like high humidity on the room. What do you guys suggest? If it is possible I would like to be able to see the grain of the wood, because the wood has some real nice grain to it.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what type of stain would be best? Oil based? Latex based?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I expect them to get a little wet from the inevitable accidents that happen, like spilling the water bottle when you make fruitlfy cultures or filling up the spray bottle with a gallon jug. But it think the regular stain should work.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Regular stain doesn't seal wood, however you can get a stain that contains a sealant. I would recomend you useing a polyurethane top coat or a spar varnish. Both would give you a nice resistant finish.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I will pick some up tommorow.

G

·
whenever i build furniture, i use an oil based stain for color and then apply Linseed oil liberally in about 3 coats. this gives you more of a matte finish than the poly and is almost as waterproof. Plus it wont chip or scratch off since it is soaked into the wood and you can treat it every couple of years with another coat of oil to keep the finish and cover any blemishes. more work, but it lasts longer too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts