Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every one,
Well stupid me got acrylic instead of glass. So now i made a tank 28 x 24 x 12, I did every thing i tryed to fill up the false bottom with 2 gallons of water yestarday and it leake in about 4-5 different spots. I been using silicon that claims is made for sealing Lexan. But it doesn't do the job too good apparently, how can i seal it off at the bottom? If i can a sodering gun and seal it would that work? All it needs is about 3inches of water in it. If this all doesn't work, i guess i will just buy a glass tank and i will rip out the back wall and put it in side the new one.Plz Help!

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Is the tank all acrylic? Silicone doesn't stick to acrylic very well, if you used it to assemble you're tank you might want to redo it and use weld-on solvent adhesive...it literaly fuzes the pieces together, if you have leaks, you can still use silicone as a sealant.
This is one place to find the weld-on:
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/categor ... 834adf4d8c
Most people use the weld-on #4
Good luck,

·
Registered
327 Posts
Weld-on #4 is water thin and can only be used to bond perfect joints. It will never seal a leak. For leaks or if you want to bond slightly imperfect joints, use #16. If you need some, I carry 1.5oz tubes and have a bunch in stock. Just email me and we can work out the details.

Paul

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got my weld-on 16 and i pray that it will work. But i just have to say that it is the happiest glue i have ever used. lol. is there any preperations i have to do acrylic before applying it? I have a head ache :wink:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GodJockey said:
I got my weld-on 16 and i pray that it will work. But i just have to say that it is the happiest glue i have ever used. lol. is there any preperations i have to do acrylic before applying it? I have a head ache :wink:
LOL...

Hey Paul, If I give you dimensions could you cut them for me?
I want to make a few tanks, but assembled the shipping would kill me.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I use Weld-on exclusively, but they all basically contain the same thing, just mixed in different ratios. As long as it states it is specifically used for acrylic, it will work. I use #4 99% of the time, but use #16 for a things like gluing the vent screen in the vivariums as the water thin stuff doesn't work with such little surface area. #3 is the same as #4 it just sets faster, but they are both water thin. I like the slightly longer working time so that is why I use #4 all the time.

Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts