Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently finished a new vivarium and put a clear non-toxic waterproof sealant on the background and waterfall.
After about 24 hours of water cycling, the "clear" sealant turned a spotty milky white color. I emptied the water from the tank and as it dries it changes back to clear.
I do not want a milky white water feature, so can anyone recommend a water-proof epoxy or sealant that will dry clear and stay that way after being submerged in water?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't have any experience to give you a recommendation, though I would like to ask that you let us know what brand and any other details of the product that you used. That way we, and anyone that searches and find your thread in the future, can know which one does that without having to find out the hard way :p

·
Registered
119 Posts
My favorite backgrounds covering/water proofing sealant is gorilla glue....

Whenever I do waterfalls or somthing that will hav water constantly running on it I put a pretty hefty layer of gorilla glue, give it 5-10 mins and cover it with sphagnum and peat. It drys hard as a rock and NEVER washes away or discolors.

Now if you really need/want it clear gorilla glue just came out with a new faster drying formula that drys clear/white. The only downfall with that is it only comes in small 5 dollar containers....

Hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
I recently finished a new vivarium and put a clear non-toxic waterproof sealant on the background and waterfall.
After about 24 hours of water cycling, the "clear" sealant turned a spotty milky white color. I emptied the water from the tank and as it dries it changes back to clear.
I do not want a milky white water feature, so can anyone recommend a water-proof epoxy or sealant that will dry clear and stay that way after being submerged in water?

Companies that do exhibits for zoos and aquaria use clear marine grade epoxy that does not contain antifouling agents. It is expensive but very effective.

Ed

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Everyone

As requested the product I used that wound up turning white is
#20 X-Clear which is a non-toxic acrylic sealant.

I think I will try mixing it with some acrylic paint before I buy a super expensive sealant. This should prevent the issue I was having

When the project is done and looks right I will post some pics

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also I saw someone suggested that I use whatever zoos use to seal their projects.
Does anyone know what this product is called?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.